Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Secondary Professional Experience 3: Using Data to Inform Teaching and Learning
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- explain theory for the effective use of data to improve student learning outcomes
- construct learning plans based on data and research
- analyse data from a full range of sources such as family, allied professionals, class, school and system
- assess Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student data and recommend actions to improve student learning outcomes
- synthesise and demonstrate professional practices, knowledge and skills for effective learning and teaching through the maintenance of positive learning environments designed to support the needs of diverse students.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- CUR-EDS261-Secondary Professional Experience 2: Assessment and Reporting
- CUR-EDS302 (Not currently available)
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
- CUR-EDS365-Curriculum and Instruction Senior Secondary: English
- CUR-EDS375-Curriculum and Instruction Senior Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences
- CUR-EDS310-Curriculum and Instruction Senior Secondary: The Arts
- Placement requirements - This subject includes a 3-week professional experience placement in a school. Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid.
This is the third in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component (a placement in a school). This subject focuses on principles, processes and impacts of classroom, school level and system data collection, analysis and interpretation. Data relevant to Indigenous educational outcomes will be interrogated, emphasising an evidentiary approach to program and policy development in classrooms, schools and beyond. The professional experience practical assessment is a three week full-time block placement intended to enable practical application of the knowledge and skills gained. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the subject.
To view the Professional Experience Calendar, please see below:
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Dataset Presentation (50%)
- Individual Learning Plan (50%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Using Data to Inform Learning
Bachelor of Education Secondary Education
- The Arts Education Major (Visual Arts)
- English Education Major
- HASS (Geography) Education Major