Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Secondary Professional Experience 3: Using Data to Inform Teaching and Learning
Your upfront cost: $0
- 02 Mar 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- explain theory for the effective use of data to improve student learning outcomes
- construct learning plans based on data and research
- analyse data from a full range of sources such as family, allied professionals, class, school and system
- assess Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student data and recommend actions to improve student learning outcomes
- synthesise and demonstrate professional practices, knowledge and skills for effective learning and teaching through the maintenance of positive learning environments designed to support the needs of diverse students.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
CUR-EDS302 , or CUR-EDS261-Secondary Professional Experience 2: Assessment and Reporting ;
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
CUR-EDS365-Curriculum and Instruction Senior Secondary: English, or CUR-EDS375-Curriculum and Instruction Senior Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences, or CUR-EDS310-Curriculum and Instruction Senior Secondary: The Arts ;
- PlacementDetails - This subject includes a 3-week professional experience placement in a school. Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid.
This is the third in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component (a placement in a school). This subject focuses on principles, processes and impacts of classroom, school level and system data collection, analysis and interpretation. Data relevant to Indigenous educational outcomes will be interrogated, emphasising an evidentiary approach to program and policy development in classrooms, schools and beyond. The professional experience practical assessment is a three week full-time block placement intended to enable practical application of the knowledge and skills gained. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the subject.
To view the Professional Experience Calendar, please see below:
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Dataset Presentation (50%)
- Individual Learning Plan (50%)
Transforming Teaching and Learning Through Data-driven Decision-making
Mandinach, E. and Jackson, S.
Using Data to Inform Learning
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.