Curriculum and Instruction Senior Secondary: English
Learn how to teach English in upper secondary levels. Develop skills to last through your career - from planning to assessment strategies and report writing. Gain what’s needed to have a positive impact on students.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Nov 2021
- 30 May 2022
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- employ discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to evaluate and refine teaching programs to enhance student learning in Senior Secondary English
- analyse assessment data to provide feedback and inform learning and teaching in Senior Secondary English
- examine robust practices for the recording and reporting of student achievement in Senior Secondary English to educational stakeholders
- draw on contemporary research-based knowledge, evidence-based practices and understanding of Senior Secondary English curriculum to create learning plans to meet diverse needs of students.
- develop assessment strategies to monitor, measure and make consistent and comparable judgements of student learning in Senior Secondary English.
- Exploring all Senior School English Courses
- English and graduation attainment
- Senior Secondary English and struggling learners
- English assessment: Design, delivery and feedback; Moderation, feedback and reporting
- Literature and literary studies courses
- English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD) courses
- High-stakes university entry examination preparation
- School-based curriculum planning
- Senior School text production
- Professional development and finding work as an English teacher
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- CUR-EDS321 (Not currently available)
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- CUR-EDS133-Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: English
- CUR-EDS121-Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: English (No longer available)
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
No additional requirements
This subject was previously known as: Curriculum and Instruction Upper Secondary: English
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service teachers to teach the Senior Secondary English curriculum. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, assessment, reporting, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Senior Secondary English. The subject examines moderation, the provision of feedback and responding to individual student needs.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Senior Secondary Presentation (50%)
- Assessment Portfolio (50%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Textbooks are not required.
Next study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Education Secondary Education
- The Arts Education Major (Visual Arts)
- English Education Major
- HASS (Geography) Education Major