Property Law for Business
Map the areas where property, business and the law intersect. Get the background on the Torrens title system of land registration. You’ll be exposed to real property legislation, exploring issues as diverse as mortgages and native title.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 Aug 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- explain and discuss legal concepts and principles relating to real property
- analyse and interpret relevant legislation and case law relating to real property law
- apply relevant legal concepts and principles to analyse and solve hypothetical property law problems and case studies
- construct a coherent and logical legal argument
- communicate effectively in written activities using clear, concise and appropriate language.
- Introduction to unit and nature of property
- Doctrine of fixtures
- Tenure and the operation of Torrens title system
- Torrens title system - mortgages and priorities
- Leases - general overview
- Leases - Retail and commercial leasing (Part1)
- Leases - Retail and commercial leasing (Part 2)
- Easements and restrictive covenants
- Strata titles
- Personal Properties Securities register
- Native title
No eligibility requirements
- OtherDetails -
- Additional materials
Introduction to real property law, estates and interests in land, fixtures, native title, Torrens System, mortgages, leases, easements and covenants and co-ownership.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Multiple Choice Test (remotely invigilated) (25%)
- Assignment (35%)
- Critical Case Study (40%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.