Mathematics for Science
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 28 Aug 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- perform calculations involving pre-Calculus Algebra and apply these to problem solving
- interpret, solve and analyse linear and quadratic equations and their applications
- sketch and analyse polynomials as functions including, linear, quadratic, cubic and exponential functions
- apply introductory trigonometric skills
- construct, analyse and interpret Network and flow diagrams as an introduction to introductory linear algebra including matrix theories.
- Number theory and basic Trigonometry
- Linear Equations & finding sides of right triangles
- Linear functions and further right triangles
- Exponents, polynomials and the Sine Rule
- Simultaneous Equations and the Cosine Rule
- Factorisation and the Area Rule
- Roots, radicals, surds and Trig Bearings
- Quadratic Equations 1 and 2D composite shapes
- Quadratic Equations 2, Networks and Matrices 1
- Derivatives, Networks and Matrices 2
- Sketching cubic & higher-order functions and vectors
- Probability, Uni & Bivariate data and Vectors 2
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
The subject covers basic algebra: application and transposition of formulae, indices, solution of equations, and Trigonometry. It will also cover Functions: polynomials, exponential, logarithmic; Trigonometric transformations of function, Linear Algebra, and introduction to Matrices.
This subject has been developed in order to meet Curtin University’s requirement to enter Science based courses. The subject meets the minimum mathematical pre-requisite for Curtin degrees requiring WACE Mathematics Applications and may not satisfy requirements for certain study areas requiring Mathematics Methods, Advanced Mathematics or Mathematics Specialist as pre-requisites. We advise all prospective students to liaise with third party institutions as to the suitability of the UNR07 subject meeting specific entry requirements.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Standardised Test (20%)
- Investigation (40%)
- Invigilated Examination (40%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).