Introduction to Health Psychology
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 May 2022
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply theories of health behaviour to understanding health risk and protective behaviours
- describe the impact of illness on the individual and their family
- compare strategies for changing risk behaviours
- An Introduction to Health Psychology
- Health Inequalities
- Health Risk Behaviour
- Health Enhancing Behaviour focus on Diet
- Health Enhancing Behaviour focus on Physical Activity
- Health Risk Behaviour focus on Drinking, Drug Use and Sexual Behaviour Strategies for changing risk behaviour
- Stress, health and illness Impact of illness focus on cancer
- Pain Improving Health and Quality of Life Careers using health psychology
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No additional requirements
This subject provides an introduction to health psychology in the Australian context. You will learn about how psychological theory can be applied to understanding health enhancing behaviours and health risk behaviours. In addition you will explore the impact of living with illness and pain and strategies for improving health and quality of life.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Written Assignment (40%)
- Case Study (60%)
Current study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Introduction to Health Psychology in Australia (ebook)
Morrison, Val, et al.
Next study term: 27 Nov 22 to 26 Feb 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.