Information Services Foundation Practicum
Step into the day-to-day world of information services as part of a two-week placement. Put your theoretical records, archives and library services work to the test. Network with professionals. Reflect on your experience through written documentation.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Aug 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- contextualise professional expectations in information services
- describe practical application of professional structures and standards in information services
- demonstrate understanding of practical requirements for information professionals by successfully completing practicum placement
- design and prepare documentation that articulates professional knowledge, skills and experience.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
You are advised to take this subject after you have studied at least two other level 1 major subjects in a previous study period (eg. LIS100 and LIM115 (SP1) or LIS125 and LIM115 SP2)
- OtherDetails -
There is a two-week full-time practicum placement attached to this unit. The placements are organised by Curtin University in accordance with guidelines. Information about the practicums is available from the Curtin Practicum Website: http://humanities.curtin.edu.au/schools/MCCA/information_studies/practicum.cfm
This subject is an introduction to an information service environment through a two-week full-time practicum placement organised by the Department of Information Studies. Degreework includes consideration and discussion of practice in records, archives and library services.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Reflection (50%)
- Practical (Pass/Fail%)
- Exercise (50%)
Textbooks are not required.