Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Information Services Foundation Practicum
Step into the day-to-day world of information services as part of a two-week placement. Put your theoretical records, archives and library services work to the test. Network with professionals. Reflect on your experience through written documentation.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- contextualise professional expectations in information services
- describe practical application of professional structures and standards in information services
- demonstrate understanding of practical requirements for information professionals by successfully completing practicum placement
- design and prepare documentation that articulates professional knowledge, skills and experience.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one of
- CUR-LIS100-Librarianship Concepts and Practice (No longer available)
- CUR-LIM115-Recordkeeping Concepts and Practice (No longer available)
- CUR-LIS125-Technologies for Information Services (No longer available)
- Placement requirements - There is a two-week full-time practicum placement attached to this unit. The placements are organised by Curtin University in accordance with guidelines. Information about the practicums is available from the Curtin Practicum Website: http://humanities.curtin.edu.au/schools/MCCA/information_studies/practicum.cfm
This subject is an introduction to an information service environment through a two-week full-time practicum placement organised by the Department of Information Studies. Degreework includes consideration and discussion of practice in records, archives and library services.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Reflection (50%)
- Practical (Pass/Fail%)
- Exercise (50%)