Cost Analysis for Decision Making
Get your head around the accounting essentials. Explore costing models, profit planning and decision making techniques. Learn how to take an ethical approach to cost management. Use multiple sources of information to construct a robust budget.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 30 Aug 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- critically evaluate behavioural and ethical issues in the achievement of strategic outcomes for the organisation
- estimate costs by identifying a range of cost behaviour patterns and using a range of sophisticated cost estimation techniques
- calculate product costs using different costing and budgeting methods and utilising appropriate technology
- analyse and evaluate cost information for decision making and planning across different management accounting contexts.
- Management Accounting
- Cost terms and concepts
- Cost behaviour, cost drivers and cost estimation
- Product Costing
- Activity based costing
- Budgeting systems
- Cost- Volume-Profit analysis
- Information for decisions: relevant costs and benefits
- Preparation for Case Report
- Introduction to strategy and control systems
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- CUR-ACC102-Financial Decision Making
- CUR-ACC240-Accounting - The Fundamentals of Business
- CUR-ACC100-Accounting - The Language of Business (No longer available)
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
No additional requirements
Foundation subject around management accounting techniques integrated with statistical methods applied to; costing models, profit planning and decision making techniques.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Case Study (20%)
- Portfolio (30%)
- Final Remote Invigilated Examination (50%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Commerce Accounting
- Level 2 Major Subjects
- Level 3 Major Subjects