- About Companies, Company Law and the Legal Nature of Companies
- Piercing the Corporate Veil and Companies and Business Planning
- Constituting Companies
- Managing Companies, Members' Meetings and Company Directors and Other Officers
- Transacting by Companies
- Directors Duties Part 1
- Directors Duties Part 2
- Members Remedies and Reporting & Disclosure
- Financing Companies, Shares and Shareholding
- Capital Maintenance and Securities Offers & Issues
- External Administration and Winding up
- Web links
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
- Audio-Video streaming
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Prerequisites may be exempted if this subject is for ICAA or ASCPA. To be considered for a waiver, you need to send your scanned originals to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
The subject aims to provide students with a solid foundation of fundamental principles of company law. Topics include: the context of company law, the role and functions of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, types of business structures, incorporation and registration, the doctrine of legal personality, corporate fund raising and share capital, legal rules relating to shares and dividends, the internal management of companies, powers and duties of various stakeholders, rights and remedies of members, company insolvency and deregistration.
Additional Information: The subject is fully accredited by both accounting professional bodies: the CPA and the ICA recognise BLW21 as an accredited subject for admission into their professional programs.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Case Study (25%)
- E-Test (25%)
- Final Invigilated Examination (50%)
Bachelor of Commerce (Business Law)
- Major Subjects
Bachelor of Accounting
- Level 1 Core Subjects
- Level 1 Core Subjects - Statistics
- Level 1 Core Subjects - Marketing
- Level 2 Core Subjects
- Level 3 Core Subjects