Chinese for Beginners
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Aug 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- conduct basic greetings and conversations in Chinese (Mandarin)
- read and write simple messages in simplified and/or traditional Chinese script
- communicate in a manner appropriate to different social and cultural systems in Chinese speaking countries
- Introduction to Pinyin (pronunciation system) and Hanzi (writing system)
- Dates and Time
- Visiting Friends
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
This subject was previously known as Beginning Chinese.
This subject introduces basic communicative skills in Mandarin Chinese at an elementary level. Students acquire the four essential language skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing through ample practice in communicative activities supported by digital technology. Students will also be introduced to Chinese society, Chinese culture and the structure of the Chinese language through mini-lectures, audio-visual presentations, virtual real-time classroom and online tutorials.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Recorded presentation (30%)
- Language practice (45%)
- eTest (25%)
Current study term: 28 Aug 22 to 27 Nov 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.