Business Processes and Internal Controls
Learn how standard accounting systems work so that you can ensure financial processes always run smoothly. Excel at system documentation. Discover how to evaluate the efficiency of internal systems and recommend solutions to common accounting issues.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- design, document, implement and manage processes such as databases for business transactions and organizational information needs
- analyse workplace information systems using internal control principles and techniques
- recommend solutions to resolve accounting information systems problems.
- Romney: Chapters 1 & 2 (all pages)
- Romney: Chapters 12 & 13 – ignore threats & controls. Chapter 3 – pp 74 to 82
- Romney: Chapter 3 - pp 82 to 98
- Romney: Chapter 4 - pp 108 to 127
- Romney: Chapter 5 & Chapter 6
- Romney: Chapter 7, Chapter 8 (ignore 226 to 270)
- Romney: Chapter 9
- Romney: Chapter 10
- Romney: Chapter 11
- Romney: Chapter 12
- Romney: Chapter 13
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- CUR-ACC102-Financial Decision Making
- CUR-ACC240-Accounting - The Fundamentals of Business
- CUR-ACC100-Accounting - The Language of Business (No longer available)
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
No additional requirements
Exploration of typical accounting information systems application such as sales, billing, inventory and general ledger. How these subsystems interface with one another, and the principle inputs, processes, files, outputs and controls associated with them. Major themes throughout the course include: objectives and procedures of internal control, typical business documents and reports, and system documentation - use of data flow diagrams, flowcharts and other documentation techniques.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Mid semester test (20%)
- Case study (40%)
- Final Invigilated Exam (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).