- Aboriginal Art and Landscape
- Australian Art and Landscape
- Landscape and the body
- Japanese aesthetics and contemporary gardens
- Islamic, Medieval, Mannerist and Victorian Pleasure Gardens
- Romanticism and the Sublime
- Environmental and reclamation art
- The urban landscape
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
You need a high level of proficiency in the English language and basic essay writing skills before you commence this subject.
No special requirements
This subject explores a range of concepts and contexts in which ideas about nature operate, both historically and in contemporary culture. You will gain a broad introduction to many ideas relating to the natural environment and culture, from the western ideal of the 'Garden of Eden' to contemporary gardens as cultural projects. You will explore links between nature and religion, an international history of gardens, the use of nature in political contexts and the role of the natural environment in an age of climate change.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay 1 (40%)
- Essay 2 (45%)
- Test (15%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Arts Fine Art and Visual Culture
- Common Level 1
- Level 1 Major - Fine Art
- Level 1 Major - Visual Culture
- Level 2 Major - Fine Art - Painting
- Level 2 Major - Fine Art - Sculpture
- Level 2 Major - Visual Culture 1
- Level 2 Major - Visual Culture 2
- Level 3 Major - Fine Art
- Level 3 Major - Visual Culture
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in Art History
- Major in Chinese Language
- Major in Creative Writing
- Major in Criminal Justice
- Major in History
- Major in Journalism
- Major in Literature
- Major in Media Studies
- Major in Public Relations
- Major in Screen Culture
- Major in Sociology