Applied Contract Law
Sharpen your understanding of contract law principles. Learn how contracts are formed, negotiated and performed. Explore the circumstances in which a contract can be terminated. Focus particularly on the role of the contract in the business world.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 26 May 2019
- 24 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- explain and demonstrate the principles of contract law relevant to the formation and operation of a contract
- identify, interpret and explain standard clauses in business contracts and apply them to business scenarios
- identify risks inherent in negotiating, making and managing business contracts and discuss potential clauses and strategies to minimise those risks
- construct business directed communication related to contract development, interpretation, management and effect.
- Introduction and Overview
- Negotiating the contract
- Formation of the contract
- The content of the contract 1
- The content of the contract 2
- Performing the contract
- Ending the contract
- Undoing the contract: vitiating factors - Common Law
- Undoing the contract: vitiating factors - Statute
- The consequences of ending the contract: remedies
- Resolving contract disputes - a practical guide
- Resources and Links
This subject covers the formation, negotiation and operation of contracts, the role and structure of the contents of a business contract including: boilerplate and common clauses, risk management and termination clauses, the type and scope of contract remedies and dispute resolution.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Problem based (20%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
- Project (30%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.