Accounting for Corporations
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify and interpret the key concepts in selected International Financial Reporting Standards relevant to external reporting
- analyse and solve accounting issues for reporting entities in accordance with the International Financial Reporting Standards
- explain, justify and apply the policies within the International Financial Reporting Standards to a knowledgeable audience
- explain the economic role of general purpose financial reporting through corporate reporting practices and current accounting issues
- Accounting for provision
- Contingent liabilities and assets
- Accounting policies
- Impairment of assets
- Property plant and equipment
- Tax effect accounting
- Shares and reserves
- Statement of cash flows
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
No additional requirements
This subject aims to improve students' knowledge of accounting standards and examine a number of important accounting issues relating to companies, particularly accounting for provision; contingent liabilities and assets; accounting policies; impairment of assets, property plant and equipment, tax effect accounting; shares and reserves; and statement of cash flows.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Non-Invigilated eTest (20%)
- Report and Presentation (40%)
- Final Invigilated Examination (40%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).