Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jul 2021
ANU is a world-leading university in Australia’s capital city, Canberra. Their location points to their unique history, ties to the Australian Government and special standing as a resource for the Australian people. Their focus on research as an asset, and an approach to education, ensures their graduates are in demand the world-over for their abilities to understand, and apply vision and creativity to addressing complex contemporary challenges. ANU offers an outstanding variety of programs for Australia's next generation of language leaders. Their innovative online subjects are offered from beginning to advanced levels via OUA, and various enrolment options provide for different student needs and goals.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On satisfying the requirements of this subject, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Advanced Beginner level of Tibetan to:
- Use an active vocabulary of around 500 words, half of which will be literary words.
- Identify and use sentence structures in colloquial Tibetan to conduct longer conversations and read basic texts in Literary Tibetan.
- Communicate in speaking and writing about their environment and their journeys; and engage with a selection of Tibetan tales, sayings, Buddhist prayers and songs.
- Demonstrate an understanding of travel and culinary etiquette, and key concepts of Tibetan identity and Tibetan Buddhism.
- 1. I am going to Lhasa (1)
- 2. I am going to Lhasa (2)
- 3. Literary Particles (1)
- 4. Literary Particles (2)
- 5. The Adverbial Particles (1)
- 6. The Adverbial Particles (2)
- 7. Reading a text and line by line analysis (1)
- 8. Reading a text and line by line analysis (2)
- 9. The 6th Dalai Lama’s Songs and line by line analysis (1)
- 10.The 6th Dalai Lama’s Songs and line by line analysis (2)
- 11.Dge ‘dun chos ‘phel’s Journalism (1)
- 12.Dge ‘dun chos ‘phel’s Journalism (2)
- 13. Songs of Milarepa
- 14. Phuntsok Wangyal’s biography (English and Tibetan version)
- 15. Reading modern Tibetan literatures
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
Completion of TIBN1002 Tibetan 1 or demonstration of equivalent level through completion of a placement test. Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test. Students are not permitted to enrol in a subject that is lower than the level they achieve in the placement test, or a lower level than a subject they have already completed. Students without the appropriate level of proficiency for ANU-TIBN1003 (Tibetan 2) will be withdrawn from this subject and we will recommend an alternative subject at the correct level.
- EquipmentDetails - To successfully engage in this subject students will need the following: • Laptop or computer • Computer camera (either inbuilt or webcam) • Headset or headphones with microphone • Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browser •Reliable internet access •Access to a scanner or smartphone
This subject will build on students' basic knowledge of the Tibetan Language in both its spoken and literary forms. It includes: (a) Development of conversational skills in Tibetan to include complex sentences; (b) Further explanation of the grammar of spoken and written Tibetan; (c) Reading of graded texts in the Tibetan script.
Ongoing study each week students are expected to study for five hours as follows: 1. 90 minutes, before online class, working on the written and audio materials for the week, and, memorising the written and spoken forms of that week’s vocabulary. 2. 90 minutes, participate in one 90 minute online class. 3. 90 minutes, completing online follow-up exercises regarding listening, speaking, reading and writing skills and vocabulary. 4. 30 minutes, completing weekly assessment and quiz.
- Weekly related to the week’s topic (40%)
- 48 hours in Week 5 or 6 (Take home test) (20%)
- Written assignment (30%)
- Participation in online class activities (10%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.