Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Feb 2020
ANU is a world-leading university in Australia’s capital city, Canberra. Their location points to their unique history, ties to the Australian Government and special standing as a resource for the Australian people. Their focus on research as an asset, and an approach to education, ensures their graduates are in demand the world-over for their abilities to understand, and apply vision and creativity to addressing complex contemporary challenges. ANU offers an outstanding variety of programs for Australia's next generation of language leaders. Their innovative online subjects are offered from beginning to advanced levels via OUA, and various enrolment options provide for different student needs and goals.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Read extracts from the Sanskrit text smoothly and accurately.
- Translate the vocabulary of the text in hand with a high level of competence in the use of a Sanskrit-English dictionary.
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of the advanced grammatical structures employed in the Sanskrit text, and demonstrate expertise in using reference grammars.
- Appraise the linguistic registers of the root text, in contrast with other genres of Sanskrit literature, and reflect this in appropriate English translation; respond creatively to the root text in an appropriate medium.
- Demonstrate an ability to interpret commentarial texts, showing an understanding of commentarial techniques and vocabulary.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the social and historical contexts of the root text.
- Kālidāda’s Abhijñānaśākuntala
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
You should have completed the equivalent of four semesters of Sanskrit studies at tertiary level. You may be required to take a placement test.
- EquipmentDetails - To successfully engage in this course students will need the following: • Laptop or computer • Computer camera (either inbuilt or webcam) • Headset with microphone • Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browser • Reliable internet access • Access to a scanner or smartphone
- OtherDetails -
This is a fast paced academic course at a University level.
The four-year Sanskrit program is designed to introduce students to the broadest possible range of literary genres, including epic, courtly poetry, drama, Upaniadic verse and Vedic. In this course students will engage with a selection of readings from Kālidāda’s Abhijñānaśākuntala or a similar text.
Via face-to-face video at a set time prescribed by the University. Please be aware of potential time zone differences.
- Term 1 Class Notes: Analysis, parsing, translation and annotations of text studies in class (35%)
- Term 2 Class Notes: Analysis, parsing, translation and annotations of text studies in class (35%)
- Analysis, parsing, translation and annotations of text studies in class (30%)
Textbook information is pending.