Introduction to Disability care
Disability care is not always easy, but its impact is incredibly profound. A successful disability worker has great patience, determination, and empathy—do you have what it takes to make a difference? Begin a rewarding career by studying a disability course, online through Open Universities Australia.
Discover disability care courses
Online disability care degrees
Online disability care subjects and short courses
Disability care study FAQs
Areas you'll explore in a disability course
- Special needs care: Manage and improve the behaviour of those with complex or challenging needs.
- Special needs education: Support learning and development, design tailored learning plans to cater to individual needs.
- Disability and the law: Develop policies and procedures to ensure that disability care is effective and ethical.
- Social inclusion: Work on strategies for integrating people with disabilities into the community.
Career paths to take
With increased funding for Australians with disabilities under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), the demand for disability care professionals is growing. Careers that graduates often pursue include:
- Disability support work - For example, personal care, domestic support or transportation.
- Job facilitation - Prepare people with disabilities for the workforce.
- Specialist support - For example, physiotherapy, speech therapy or occupational therapy (requires specialist study).
- Disability organisation work - Play a role within a disability-based organisation.
- Disability policy work - Examine and amend the law to ensure a better future for people with disabilities.
We’re here to guide you to the right uni course
Open Universities Australia is a not-for-profit organisation helping every Australian to access thousands of university courses.
Over 479,000 students have enrolled in university through us since 1993.
Why study through us? Students say it best.
We’re here to support your studies from enrolment to completion 7 days a week.
How we can help you
Studying through Open Universities Australia means we take care of the guesswork and administration of university study, so you can focus on learning.
You don't need a strong academic history to go to uni
We make it possible for everyone to start university through single subjects, regardless of ATAR or study experience. These subjects are covered by government loans, and can be used to upskill or gain entry into a qualification.
You have the flexibility to start at multiple points during the year
We’re not restricted by a traditional academic calendar, so you can enrol when it suits your life. You also have total control over how you study. You can scale up (or down) your study load and even pause your course if you need to.
You can rely on us as an unbiased destination for online tertiary education
As a not for profit, we have your best interests at heart. Our advisors are here 7 days a week to guide and support you. It’s our priority to get you qualified with the university of your choice.
Enrol in courses from 28 of Australia's leading universities
Our friendly student advisors are here to help
We're here to guide you every step of the way with expert advice on:
- Choosing a course that suits you best
- Enrolling, and planning your studies
- Understanding your funding options
Call, message, or chat with an advisor today.
Talk to a student advisor
We'll be in touch to answer your questions, usually within 30 minutes during business hours.