How to become a nutritionist
Pathways to this career
- Complete an accredited diploma in nutrition and dietetics. Most employers in the space require professional qualifications.
- Advance your skills as a nutritionist through additional higher education such as an undergraduate degree in health science.
- Representation, support and recognition for qualified nutritionists can be found by contacting the The Nutritional Society of Australia.
What does a nutritionist do?
Duties and tasks
- Conduct research, evaluate findings and make recommendations.
- Perform consultations with clients (either individuals or groups) to examine current state of health, diet and lifestyle.
- Design individualised diet and nutrition plans as per client requirements.
- Use diagnostic procedures to identify and analyse nutritional deficiencies and reasons for specific health concerns.
- Monitor patient progress and alter individual diet programs as necessary.
- Nutrition Australia
- Nutrition Society of Australia
- The Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology Incorporated
- Consumer scientist
Explore online nutrition degrees
Explore online nutrition subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.