At OUA, our students come from all over. Their lifestyles come in all shapes and forms – so why shouldn’t their education? We’ve already taken great strides to become leaders in flexible study, and today, we’re excited to go one step further with the announcement of our new Postgraduate Single Units.
Postgraduate Single Units are standalone units that aren’t attached to any specific degree, which is perfect for graduates who want to study further, but don’t have the time to earn another full qualification. This is especially exciting, because OUA is the first to offer this in the Australian market.
The units we provide are delivered online from six of our partner universities; Curtin, Griffith, Macquarie, RMIT, Swinburne and UniSA. With over 100 units on offer, there’s an impressive variety of study areas available already, including geography, human rights, public health, taxation, cyber security, accounting, astronomy and business administration, just to name a few.
Previously, students could only study single units through OUA at an undergraduate level. But if you’re already a graduate, it only makes sense to step up to postgraduate study, even if you’re shifting over to another study area. Postgraduate level study provides a more in-depth level of knowledge, and gives you a competitive advantage when it comes to employment. And additionally, if you decide you want a full postgraduate qualification, you could receive a credit transfer for your unit(s), so you’ve already made your start.
As a student, you can:
• Update your skills without committing to a full degree
• Use the units as a professional development opportunity, either independently or perhaps through your company
• Access FEE-HELP if you’re eligible, so there’s no need to pay upfront
• Obtain a transcript of results as proof of competency
• Potentially receive a credit transfer into a Graduate Certificate course
A taste of what’s on offer
• Twentieth Century Australia from the Graduate Certificate in History Teaching (Curtin)
• Cyber Crime from the Graduate Certificate of Cyber-Security, Policing, Intelligence and Counter Terrorism (Macquarie)
• Sustainable International Business Futures from the Graduate Certificate in International Business (RMIT)
• Engineering Research Practice from the Graduate Certificate in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (UniSA)
• Exploring Stars and the Milky Way from the Graduate Certificate of Science (Astronomy) (Swinburne)
• Risk Assessment and Management in Mental Health from the Graduate Certificate in Forensic Mental Health (Griffith)
How do I enrol?
It’s easy. You’ll only need to apply once through OUA’s standard enrolment procedure for postgraduate study. Once you’re deemed eligible, you’re free to enrol in as many units as you like. To be eligible, you’ll need to meet the criteria as detailed on the webpage under ‘Am I eligible?’. Criteria includes possessing a Bachelor degree (Australian or International) and meeting the English language competency standards.
So if you’re looking to add some high level knowledge to your arsenal without the commitment, take a look through the Postgraduate Single Units webpage. It’s never too late to learn something new – you may be surprised by where it leads you.