Undergraduate Certificate in Fermentation
Fermentation industry and science essentails
Get to know the fermentation industry and see where you might fit. You’ll learn about the equipment and activities that produce beer, cheese, and wine. Explore the science of fermented food and drink production. Think about careers in food and beverage.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 11 Feb 24
- 07 Jul 24
Wherever you are, the University of Tasmania brings its island campus to you through a growing range of online programs across art and design, business, education, health, science, sustainability, technology, and more. It’s never too late to switch things up. Kickstart that career you’ve been dreaming about, or upskill for the one you’re in. You’ll also become a part of the world's leading university on climate action.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
When would you like to chat?
Let me pick a time
Find a time that suits you for a free 1:1 consultation.
Call me anytime
An advisor will call you, usually within 30 minutes.
What you'll learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Describe scientific principles, processes and knowledge relating to fermentation science
- Apply scientific and design-based approaches to formulate problems and solutions in the fermentation industry
- Critically reflect on knowledge, skills, behaviours and attributes to stimulate, enhance and develop personal and professional growth in fermentation industries
The Undergraduate Certificate in Fermentation will give you the opportunity to learn in a practical environment, by offering you authentic learning experiences to practice your new skills and knowledge. As a result, you will be developing skills, knowledge and behaviours that employers are looking for in the workforce.
Opportunities for students include brewing, wine making, fermented food and drink product manufacture, distillation, alkaloids, biodiesel, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, forensics, essential oils and water treatment.
By completing the Undergraduate Certificate in Fermentation you can transition into further study, with credit towards an Associate Degree in Applied Science (TAS-SFS-ADG), where you will learn how to use science to build a career in the food and beverage industry with our Fermentation and Separation stream.
Higher education via OUA
Successful completion of any 2 OUA open access subjects of study at the equivalent AQF level, unless otherwise specified
- Partially completed an undergraduate course at Diploma level or higher (or equivalent). You must have completed at least one subject of study (equivalent to 12.5 UTAS credit points) at 100 level or higher and which may include 100 level subjects completed in the UTAS Diploma of University Studies. If you have failed any subjects, your application may be subject to further review before an offer is made; OR
- Completed the UTAS University Preparation Program (or an equivalent qualification offered by an Australian University).
Completed the TCE or an equivalent qualification.
Successful completion of Certificate III or higher (or equivalent) in any discipline.
Work and Life
Applicants without senior secondary, tertiary or VET / TAFE study can complete a personal competency statement.
Applicants may be eligible for an offer if they have relevant work and / or life experiences which demonstrate a capacity to succeed in this program.
Credit for previous study or work
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Undergraduate Certificate in Fermentation is an industry-focused program designed for people interested in working in the field of fermentation. It is a great foundation for those wishing to enter the fermentation industry, or a steppingstone for those currently working in the industry who are seeking to progress in their career.
The Undergraduate Certificate in Fermentation aims to prepare graduates to become creative, ethical, adaptable and industry-aware with the skills and knowledge sought after by the fermentation industry. It will also provide a foundation for establishing home-based fermentation activities such as brewing beer, making cheese, and creating a fine wine. The program content has been developed in consultation with industry experts and they are actively involved in its delivery.
Completion of the Undergraduate Certificate in Fermentation will enable you to:
- apply scientific theory in contemporary industry practice
- commence employment or enhance career opportunities
- transition into further study, with credit into an Associate Degree in Applied Science
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study, the following study pattern is recommended.
1 core subject:
- TAS-ZAS122 Fermentation Principles and Processes
Select 3 electives from the followings:
- TAS-ZAB234 Data and Analysis
- TAS-ZAS112 Understanding Science
- TAS-ZAS117 Applied Biology
- TAS-ZAS118 Sustainability
- TAS-ZAS123 Applied Chemistry
- TAS-ZAS231 Quality Management
- TAS-ZAS232 Regulatory Challenges
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 0.5-1 year from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps. This degree also allows you to get started with Open access.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Choose how you want to start
You can apply for the full degree or if you want to start with Open access, enrol into the subjects using the ‘Single subjects’ option.
You can apply for the degree later and the subjects may be credited towards the degree.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.
This degree offers Open access entry, exclusive to Open Universities Australia.
There’s more than one way to get a degree. Open access allows you to start with single subjects as a way into eligible degrees, regardless of your study history.
Enrol into and complete the required Open access subjects to earn entry in this degree. Most subjects have no entry requirements, are fully government funded (if you’re eligible) and may be credited when you start the degree.
The best part? You can enrol and get started with single subjects now.