Master of Teaching (Primary)
A recognised teaching qualification in all states and territories
Become an inspiring primary school teacher. Develop your identity as an educator. Build pedagogical knowledge. Get hands-on in placements for 60 days. Start teaching in as little as two years.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online & on-campus
Subjects may require attendance
- 05 Feb 23
- 25 Jun 23
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate the integration of discipline-specific knowledge with pedagogical skills of planning, managing and assessing learning in a primary or secondary school setting.
- Apply cognitive creative, analytical, critical and practical skills consistent with advanced knowledge in education.
- Synthesise theoretical understanding and practical skills to effectively plan, present and implement complex learning and teaching practices.
- Communicate and advocate effectively with students, teachers, parents and other educational stakeholders.
- Exhibit professional practice informed by critical attention to values that underpin contemporary education.
Graduates of Master of Teaching are deemed to be qualified to teach in public and private sector schools in all states and territories of Australia by the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (https://www.aitsl.edu.au/standards).
Our graduates work with students from Prep to Grade 6 (Primary specialisation), throughout Australia and overseas.
The Masters of Teaching course is a professionally accredited Initial Teacher Education program (https://www.trb.tas.gov.au/Web%20Pages/Teacher%20Education.aspx) approved by the Teachers Registration Board Tasmania (https://www.trb.tas.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx).
- Successful completion of a non-teaching Bachelor degree.
- The degree must include the equivalent of 8 x 12.5 credit points, full-time study (usually comprising sequential study over three years), in one of the primary proficiency areas: English, Humanities & Social Sciences, Mathematics, Science, The Arts, Health & Physical Education, Languages, Technologies.
Work and Life
All applicants are required to provide a non-academic personal statement which is used to assist in the selection of students into all Initial Teacher Education (ITE) courses at the University of Tasmania. This statement is submitted through the Non-Academic Capability Assessment Tool (NACAT) after you have completed your application and is used in conjunction with your ATAR score (or equivalent alternative entry). All applicants must satisfactorily complete the NACAT before they will be provided with an offer into the course. Instructions on submitting your statement and completing the NACAT are provided during the application process.
All applicants are required to provide a non-academic personal statement which is used to assist in the selection of students into all Initial Teacher Education (ITE) courses at the University of Tasmania.
This statement is submitted through the Non-Academic Capability Assessment Tool (NACAT) after you have completed your application and is used in conjunction with your ATAR score (or equivalent alternative entry.) All applicants must satisfactorily complete the NACAT before they will be provided with an offer into the course.
Instructions on submitting your statement and completing the NACAT are provided during the application process.
Prior to undertaking their final Professional Experience placement, Master of Teaching students are required to complete the Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teaching Education (LANTITE).
Professional Experience is compulsory requirement of the Master of Teaching Degree. It is a registration requirement that you successfully complete a minimum of 60 days of placement. The structure of Professional Experience in the Master of Teaching Degree is:
- Professional Experience 1 (PE1) 15-20 days
- Professional Experience 2 (PE2) 15-20 days
- Professional Experience 3 (PE3) 15-20 days
Professional Experience must be undertaken during the scheduled time and must be undertaken in a full-time block placement. For more information about Professional Experience subjects and how to structure your enrolment correctly to ensure that you are eligible for your placements, please see the UTAS Master of Teaching FAQ Page.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here. https://www.utas.edu.au/study/apply/admission-requirements/recognition-of-prior-learning
Make a difference to future generations as a primary school teacher.
The Master of Teaching is a pre-service teaching degree that gives you the skills and knowledge to teach in a primary or secondary school setting. The degree is designed to build upon tertiary qualifications and experience, enabling students to complete a teaching qualification in as little as 18 months with our new fast track options.
Your studies are informed by internationally renowned research in English literacy, inclusive education, arts and creativity, regional and rural education, and other areas inspired by the unique challenges and opportunities of education in Tasmania.
This program is accredited through the Tasmanian Teachers Registration Board and is recognised in all Australian states and territories. Practice your teaching skills in a safe and supportive environment with 60 days of professional experience placements in classrooms, graduating with the confidence to inspire the next generation.
Recommended Study Pattern
This degree can be completed as a two year full-time degree or the equivalent part-time. The recommended full-time study pattern is:
Year 1. Completion of 8 core subjects and 2 Professional Experience placements from the schedule below:
- TAS-EMT502 Foundations of Teaching
- TAS-EMT504 Human Development and Learning
- TAS-EMT507 Planning for Positive Behaviour
- TAS-EMT508 Teacher as Planner Assessor & Reporter
- TAS-EMT511 Foundations of Primary English
- TAS-EMT512 Professional Experience 1 (non credit subject)
- TAS-EMT518 Professional Experience 2 (non credit subject)
- TAS-EMT521 Teaching Primary Mathematics 1
- TAS-EMT592 Primary Science & Technology Education
- TAS-EMT593 Primary Humanities and Social Sciences Education
Year 2. Completion of 10 core subjects and 1 Professional Experience placement from the schedule below:
- TAS-EMT602 Ethics, Education and Professional Practice
- TAS-EMT603 Inclusive Practices in Education Settings
- TAS-EMT607 Preparing for the Profession*
- TAS-EMT608 Digital Technologies*
- TAS-EMT609 Languages and Culture*
- TAS-EMT611 Primary English Curriculum and Pedagogy
- TAS-EMT614 Professional Experience 3 (non credit subject)
- TAS-EMT620 Teaching Primary Mathematics 2
- TAS-EMT691 Cultural Awareness: The Non-indigenous and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander interface*
- TAS-EMT694 Introduction to Arts Education
- TAS-EMT695 Personal Development & HPE
* Indicates a half-subject.
Students are enrolled in professional experience subjects for administration purposes only and these subjects do not have credit points allocated.
Satisfactory completion of 21 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 2-5 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.