Graduate Certificate in Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages
Share your language with the world
Whether you’re planning to teach English in Australia or overseas, this qualification will give you a head start. You’ll work through the elements of teaching, including linguistics, psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, and second language learning.
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
This program will equip you with a specialisation in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). You will study linguistics, psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, and second language teaching and learning.
You will find employment opportunities locally or overseas teaching English as a second or foreign language, teaching a language other than English, or working in leadership positions in language teaching institutions. These include opportunities at TAFE or technical colleges, private language schools, language teaching institutions for migrants.
Please note that this program does not lead to teacher registration with the Queensland College of Teachers.
To be accepted into this program, applicants must have a three-year bachelor degree (or equivalent).
English Proficiency Requirements
English language requirements apply to International applicants and other applicants whose previous study was undertaken in a language other than English. The minimum English language requirements for such applicants for entry to this program are as follows:
- A minimum overall band score of 6.5 on IELTS (Academic) with no sub-score of less than 6.0
- OR a minimum score of 575 on TOEFL
- OR an internet-based (iBT) TOEFL score of 79 (no sub-score less than 19)
- OR no score less than 3+ in each skill of the ISLPR (conducted by ISLPR Language Services only)
- OR a minimum grade of C on the Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- OR a minimum grade of C on the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- OR an overall score of 58 in the Pearson Test of English (Academic) with no score less than 50.
English test results must be no more than two years old.
Students who successfully complete the Direct Entry Program (DEP) will satisfy the English Language requirements for this Griffith degree.
Griffith University grants credit and recognition of prior learning, which may relate to prior formal learning or prior informal and non-formal learning. For more information, please visit the following website:
To be eligible for the award of Graduate Certificate in Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (GCertTESOL), a student must acquire 40 credit points as prescribed below:
- gain 40 credit points for the core subjects.