Master of Public Policy: Economic Policy Specialisation
Use your passion for economics to carve out policy
Take a specialised approach to public policy using your zest for economics. With this course, you can carve out a leadership pathway in public finance, foreign investment, trade and development economics.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
ANU is a world-leading university in Australia’s capital city, Canberra. Their location points to their unique history, ties to the Australian Government and special standing as a resource for the Australian people. Their focus on research as an asset, and an approach to education, ensures their graduates are in demand the world-over for their abilities to understand, and apply vision and creativity to addressing complex contemporary challenges. ANU offers an outstanding variety of programs for Australia's next generation of language leaders. Their innovative online subjects are offered from beginning to advanced levels via OUA, and various enrolment options provide for different student needs and goals.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon successful completion of the study, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate deep understanding of public policy and its key challenges and issues, in Australia and globally;
- Understand processes and challenges of agenda-setting, formulation, implementation, management and evaluation of public policy;
- Reflect critically on key theoretical debates in the field of public policy including its practical application across cultural, developmental and institutional contexts;
- Demonstrate understanding of methods for policy research and analysis and identify and apply them with appropriate tools to public policy issues ;
- Analyse, synthesise and communicate complex, political and institutional policy problems from multiple perspectives.
ANU ranks among the world's very finest universities. Our nearly 100,000 alumni include political, business, government, and academic leaders around the world. We have graduated remarkable people from every part of our continent, our region and all walks of life.
At a minimum, all applicants must meet program-specific academic/non-academic requirements, and English language requirements. Admission to most ANU programs is on a competitive basis.
· Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 5/7; or
· Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 4/7 and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
· Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 4/7 and a Graduate Certificate or international equivalent with a GPA of 4/7; or
· Graduate Diploma or international equivalent with a GPA 4/7; or
· 48 units of courses in a postgraduate program with a GPA of 4/7; or
· Graduate Certificate or international equivalent with a GPA of 4/7 and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
· Graduate Records Examination (GRE) General test, completed no more than 5 years before the time of application, with a minimum score of 155 for Verbal Reasoning, 155 for Quantitative Reasoning and 4.0 in Analytical Writing and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
· A minimum of 10 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program.
In line with the university's admissions policy and strategic plan, an assessment for admission may include competitively ranking applicants on the basis of specific academic achievement, English language proficiency and diversity factors.
Find more information about Master of Public Policy at the ANU Programs and Courses.
Work and Life
A minimum of 10 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applications must meet the ANU English Language Requirements for Admission.
Applicants with a Bachelor Degree, Bachelor degree with Honours, Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in a cognate discipline may be eligible for up to 24 units.
Economic Policy, one of the Master of Public Policy specialisations, enables you to apply your in-depth understanding of the way the economy works to improve the impact of public policy. The new specialisation is designed to provide leadership pathways in public finance, foreign investment, trade and development economics; to consider economic policy issues both nationally and globally; and evaluate complex social problems through an economic lens. If you’re currently pursuing, or are interested in, a career in public finance, foreign investment, trade or development economics, this new degree specialisation is for you.
You will analyse the nature and impact of core economic principles on public policy and how they affect decision making at every level. Shape your critical thinking skills through engagement in vigorous debates about the strengths and limits of markets as a form of social organisation – the interdependence of individuals, households, business, and government – and the implications of economic imbalance, even failure. Prominent public policy scholars will facilitate and guide your learning on forms of government intervention and policy instruments to achieve equity, including fiscal policy, monetary policy, regulation, service provision, redistribution and taxation. By interrogating the relationships between economic analysis and the processes of contemporary policy making, you will graduate with a strong capacity to develop innovative economic policy recommendations that address complex national and global problems in changing policy environments.