Master of Finance and Banking
Unlock worldwide opportunities in the financial services sector
Hone your critical thinking and problem-solving skills to make confident financial decisions. Complete core units in business finance, economics, risk, credit, and investments. Select electives such as management, marketing, and entrepreneurship.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
ECU has been ranked one of the world’s best young universities and Australia’s best public university for teaching quality. That quality extends to more than 6,000 students studying online. ECU offers the same quality of teaching to you, regardless of where you’re studying in the world. Their flexible study solutions include a huge range of online courses, recognising your need to juggle work, family or other commitments.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
- Demonstrate mastery of a global body of financial knowledge and practice, including knowledge of research principles and methods in finance.
- Apply critical thinking and technical skills to solve authentic financial problems.
- Demonstrate effective communication and teamwork skills.
- Independently initiate, plan and execute a substantial project to meet agreed deliverables in the field of finance.
- Justify financial decisions and judgements that address complex issues considering the ethical and social consequences.
The course provides an internationally portable qualification, relevant to employment in the financial services sector worldwide including; investment and international banking, corporate treasury and money markets, funds management, financial planning, management consulting and more.
Possible future job titles: Financial Analyst, Financial Advisor, Finance Broker, Lending Manager, Investment and International Banker, Financial Planner, Management Consultant
All applicants are required to have an undergraduate degree in a discipline other than finance. Special entry may be considered for applicants with a finance-related undergraduate degree. Alternatively applicants can apply with at least five years appropriate professional experience.
Work and Life
Equivalent prior learning including at least five years relevant professional experience.
English Proficiency Requirements
English competency requirements may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0);
- Bachelor degree from a country specified on the English Proficiency Bands page;
- Successfully completed 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent);
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years relevant professional experience; or
- Other tests, courses or programs defined on the English Proficiency Bands page.
If you're applying for a course and have previous study or professional experience, you may be eligible for what we call 'advanced standing'.
For more information and to apply please go to https://www.ecu.edu.au/future-students/course-entry/advanced-standing
This coursework Masters is designed for students seeking a comprehensive postgraduate degree in applied finance and financial management.
The course prepares students to work in the dynamic financial services industry. The course focuses on how individuals, financial institutions, businesses and governments make borrowing, lending and investment decisions. Students will learn how to identify, analyse and interpret financial information and use industry-relevant databases and software. The financial services industry demands graduates who can think critically and have an analytical approach to problem solving; attributes that students will develop through this course.
Students are required to complete 10 core units and 2 elective units.
- ECF6110 Business Finance
- ECF6102 Quantitative Skills for Business
- ACC6010 Accounting Concepts and Applications
- ECF6105 Economic Analysis for Business
- ECF6115 Financial Markets and Institutions
- MBA6125 Financing of International Trade
- ECF6120 Credit and Lending Decisions
- ECF6125 Risk Management in Banking
- ECF6130 Financial Analysis and Modelling
- ECF6135 Investment Management
- ACC6015 Corporate Accounting and Reporting
- BUS6900 Management Practicum
- FBL5020 Marketing Leadership
- LAW6501 Principles of Contract and Corporate Law in Business
- MAN6925 Project Management
- MBA6090 Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Creativity