Graduate Diploma in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management
OHSE professional practitioners are in demand nationally
Build a thorough understanding OHSE legislation and systems. Study change management and its link to improving OHSE performance. Touch on advanced topics including chemical hazards and cybersecurity risks.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about ACU.
Explore ACU courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
What you'll learn
On successful completion of the requirements for this degree, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate evidence-based knowledge and skills that meet the competency standards required by professional accrediting bodies and certification organisations.
- Apply established theories to knowledge and practice in the discipline of OHSE in an Australian and International business context.
- Master and apply practice skills in the discipline of OHSE with reference to legislation and industry standards.
- Apply professional and community ethical and legal standards to practice.
- Apply twenty-first century communication skills and high-level, professional interpersonal skills.
OHSE professional practitioners are in demand because of the increasing focus on the management of occupational health, safety and environmental processes in accordance with the law and regulatory requirements. Graduates of this degree are likely to have increased opportunities across a wide range of professions and industries.
ACU’s Master of Occupational Health Safety and Environmental Management has been awarded accreditation by The Australian OHS Education Accreditation Board for a maximum of five years, from 2022 through to 2027.
To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must have completed the following prerequisites:
- Bachelor degree in a related discipline; or
- Bachelor degree in a different discipline and evidence of two years industry experience
- Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health Safety and Environmental Management or a related award.
English Proficiency Requirements
Students whose first language is not English must have either:
- successfully completed at least one full-time year of study in secondary or higher education where the medium of study was English; or
- demonstrated their English proficiency, as set out below.
IELTS: minimum overall score of 6.5 with individual scores of 6.0 in all tests Or
PTE: 58 with a minimum of 50 in all four communicative skills Or
TOEFL: Internet based total of 79: with a minimum of 21 for writing, 18 in speaking, 13 in reading and 12 in listening Or
CAE: Overall CAE of 176. Minimum individual score of 169 in all tests.
Credit for previous study or work
RPL or credit may be granted according to ACU policies. Applicants are advised to contact the degree administrator.
The Graduate Diploma in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental (OHSE) Management provides students with advanced technical competencies in OHSE theory and practice. The course comprises eight units that will prepare you for a professional-level position in OHSE. The Graduate Diploma in OHSEM is a pathway program to the Master of OHSEM, and is an accredited course that provides students with the educational requirements to seek certification as an OHS Professional.
The Graduate Diploma and Masters of Occupational Health Safety and Environmental Management are programs that are accredited with the Australian OHS Education Accreditation Board. This means students who graduate from these degrees will be deemed to have met the OHS qualification content requirement for certification at the OHS professional level (administered by the Safety Institute of Australia).
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
All Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management students are advised to start the degree with the introductory subject OHSE601 Principles of OHSE Management.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Diploma in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management students must complete eight subjects.