Graduate Certificate in Public Health
Contribute to the health of your community
Prepare for a move into the public health sector, where you can make a lasting impact on large-scale health challenges. Gain the practical skills you need to analyse existing healthcare systems. Become a leader who advocates for change.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 25 Jun 23
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Identify health challenges of local and global populations to inform decision making in public health practice, policy, and actions.
- Apply evidence-based reasoning and knowledge of public health principles to assess public health actions that focus on prevention, protection and improving the health of the population.
- Engage, collaborate and communicate for ethical public health action and advance health equity.
The curriculum is informed by competency standards articulated by the Council of Public Health Institutions in Australasia (CAPHIA). There is currently no professional accreditation required for public health tertiary qualifications.
Completed undergraduate degree from an Australian university, or AQF7 level or the equivalent standard in any other institution.
Work and Life
Where standard entry is not able to be met the following criteria for alternative entry will be considered by the Course Coordinator ‐
· Relevant work experience (Specific occupations, workplace settings and industries are more relevant for specific courses and will receive greater weighting in consideration) demonstrating the relevance of the course;
· A record of high achievement in any other qualifications or uncompleted undergraduate qualifications such as Distinction average or greater required; and
· An assessment of the prospective student's capacity to successfully undertake postgraduate study including reading, writing, analysis and research.
· Applicants may be required to undertake an interview with the relevant Course Coordinator in person or via phone call/virtually.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
As a graduate of the Certificate in Public Health you will have foundation competencies required for public health practice in Australia and globally. You’ll learn to think broadly about the factors that affect health and wellbeing including social, environmental, cultural, economic, political and structural determinants.
You will be empowered to address public health challenges as a practitioner who is culturally competent, collaborative, evidence-based and builds capacity for public health action. This program is relevant to those who work within public health as well as those wanting to move into the field of public health.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking part-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
The course is only available for part-time study.
Completion of 4 core subjects from the schedule below:
- 2 core subjects:
- TAS-CAM528 Introduction to Epidemiology
- TAS-CAM529 Introduction to Public Health
- Choose 2 following core subjects:
- TAS-CAM520 Global Health Systems
- TAS-CAM530 Systems Thinking in Public Health
- TAS-CAM618 Evaluating Health Interventions
- TAS-CAM626 Communicable Disease Epidemiology
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 1-2 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.