Graduate Certificate in Public Health
Contribute to the health of your community
Prepare for a move into the public health sector, where you can make a lasting impact on large-scale health challenges. Gain the practical skills you need to analyse existing healthcare systems. Become a leader who advocates for change.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Source, assess, analyse and communicate public health intelligence to inform decision making about public health action
- Evaluate interventions and systems to detect, prevent and control communicable and noncommunicable diseases among human populations, including in public health emergencies
- Evaluate health promoting interventions and systems that build capacity in populations to address social, economic, cultural and physical determinants of health.
- Demonstrate professional conduct in public health practice, that includes a commitment to reducing health inequity and culturally competent, ethical, collaborative and evidence-based practice that builds capacity for public health action.
The program aims to empower students as practitioners who can address public health challenges via public health practice that is culturally competent, collaborative, evidence-based and builds capacity for public health action. This program is relevant to those who work within public health as well as those wanting to move into the field of public health.
The Public Health curriculum is benchmarked against competency standards articulated by the Council of Public Health Institutions in Australasia (CAPHIA), the Royal Australian College of Physicians Faculty of Public Health Medicine and The Council on Linkages Between Academia and Public Health Practice (USA).
An undergraduate degree (AQF level 7) from an Australian higher education institution or the equivalent standard in any other institution.
Work and Life
Where standard entry is not able to be met the following criteria for alternative entry will be considered by the Course Coordinator:
- Relevant work experience (Specific occupations, workplace settings and industries are more relevant for specific courses and will receive greater weighting in consideration) demonstrating the relevance of the course;
- A record of high achievement in any other qualifications or uncompleted undergraduate qualifications such as Distinction average or greater required; and
- An assessment of the prospective student's capacity to successfully undertake postgraduate study including reading, writing, analysis and research.
- Applicants may be required to undertake an interview with the relevant Course Coordinator in person or via phone call/virtually.
Refer all applications to UTAS
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health program develops foundation competencies required for effective public health practice in Australia and globally. It encourages students to think broadly about the factors that affect health and wellbeing including social, environmental, cultural, economic, political and structural determinants.
The program also aims to empower students as practitioners who can address public health challenges via public health practice that is culturally competent, collaborative, evidence-based and builds capacity for public health action. This program is relevant to those who work within public health as well as those wanting to move into the field of public health.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
Year 1. 4 subjects in first year including:
- TAS-CAM520 Global Health Systems
- TAS-CAM528 Introduction to Epidemiology
- TAS-CAM529 Introduction to Public Health
- TAS-CAM618 Evaluating Health Interventions
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 2 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.