Graduate Certificate in Public Health
Contribute to the health of your community
Prepare for a move into the public health sector, where you can make a lasting impact on large-scale health challenges. Gain the practical skills you need to analyse existing healthcare systems. Become a leader who advocates for change.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 27 Jun 21
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Source, assess, analyse and communicate public health intelligence to inform decision making about public health action
- Evaluate interventions and systems to detect, prevent and control communicable and noncommunicable diseases among human populations, including in public health emergencies
- Evaluate health promoting interventions and systems that build capacity in populations to address social, economic, cultural and physical determinants of health.
- Demonstrate professional conduct in public health practice, that includes a commitment to reducing health inequity and culturally competent, ethical, collaborative and evidence-based practice that builds capacity for public health action.
The program aims to empower students as practitioners who can address public health challenges via public health practice that is culturally competent, collaborative, evidence-based and builds capacity for public health action. This program is relevant to those who work within public health as well as those wanting to move into the field of public health.
The Public Health curriculum is benchmarked against competency standards articulated by the Council of Public Health Institutions in Australasia (CAPHIA), the Royal Australian College of Physicians Faculty of Public Health Medicine and The Council on Linkages Between Academia and Public Health Practice (USA).
The College of Health and Medicine may accept as a candidate for the Graduate Certificate of
Public Health a person who:
- Has completed an undergraduate degree from an Australian university, or
- AQF7 level or the equivalent standard in any other institution.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health program develops foundation competencies required for effective public health practice in Australia and globally. It encourages students to think broadly about the factors that affect health and wellbeing including social, environmental, cultural, economic, political and structural determinants.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
Year 1. 4 subjects in first year including:
- TAS-CAM520 Global Health Systems
- TAS-CAM528 Introduction to Epidemiology
- TAS-CAM529 Introduction to Public Health
- TAS-CAM618 Evaluating Health Interventions
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 2 years from commencement.
Choose subjects to begin.
You can apply for government funding or pay up-front.