Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Graduate Certificate in Public Health
Start your career in public health
Begin a journey of exploration into public health issues, approaches, principles and policies. Consider the indicators of good health, and what it takes to promote better health. Prepare yourself for opportunities at a community level.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 10 Jul 22
- 06 Nov 22
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
This degree aims to equip graduates with advanced knowledge, understanding and skills in public health to improve population health and well-being in an ethical, evidence-based manner.
On successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Public Health, graduates should be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of major public health issues, approaches, principles and policy
- Apply advanced skills necessary to critique and implement particular types of public health interventions, taking account of values such as respect for human rights, the dignity of the human person and commitment to social justice
- Analyse and utilise best available evidence to support public health action
Our graduates have pursued careers in:
- public health projects
- public health advocacy
- health education
- health communications
- academic policy
- legislative policy
- management policy
To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must have:
- A Bachelor degree (or higher) or equivalent;
- Submit a resume alongside their formal application, demonstrating suitability for study and evidence of relevant industry experience and / or prior learning over a sustained period
English Proficiency Requirements
Students must meet English Language requirements as follows:
- IELTS: Overall score 6.5, Individual score of 6.0 in all test
- PTE: 58 with a minimum of 50 in all four communicative skills
- TOEFL: Internet based total of 79: minimum 21 in writing, 18 in speaking, 13 in reading and 12 in listening
- ACU English Language Test: B (65-74%)
- CAE: Overall CAE of 176, Minimum individual score of 169 in all tests
ACU will consider requests for advanced standing based on prior studies to a maximum equivalence of 2 subjects (20cp).
For further information see https://www.acu.edu.au/study-at-acu/credit-and-prior-learning.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health equips graduates with knowledge, understanding and skills in public health to improve population health and well-being. The degree prepares graduates to practice with a community, national or global focus, and with an ethical, social justice perspective.
On successful completion of the degree, graduates should be able to demonstrate knowledge of major public health issues, approaches, principles and policy; analyse and utilise best available evidence to support public health action; and demonstrate skills needed to critique and implement particular types of public health interventions.
Articulation from this course into the Graduate Diploma in Public Health or the Master of Public Health is available.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students are required to follow the pattern of subject enrolment set out in the relevant Course Enrolment Guide, unless otherwise approved by the Course Coordinator. In all aspects of progress through the course, students will be advised by the Course Coordinator.
To qualify for the degree, a student must complete 4 subjects from the Schedule of Unit Offerings.
Schedule of Unit Offerings:
- History and Principles of Public Health
- Health Promotion
- Determinants of Health
- Public Health Law and Policy
To qualify for the degree, a student must complete subjects from the Schedule of Unit Offerings
Submission of Application to Course Complete form to ACU
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.