Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management
A grounding in occupational health safety & environment (OHSE) concepts
Get to know the essential OHSE legislation, systems, and terminology that form the basis of safe workplaces. You’ll look at common hazards in the workplace, determine risk and controls. Strive for wellbeing and health at work.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about ACU.
Explore ACU courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
What you'll learn
On successful completion of the requirements for this degree, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate evidence-based knowledge and skills that meet the competency standards required by professional accrediting bodies and certification organisations
- Apply established theories to knowledge and practice in the discipline of OHSE in an Australian and International business context
- Master and apply practice skills in the discipline of OHSE with reference to legislation and industry standards
- Apply professional and community ethical and legal standards to practice
- Apply twenty-first century communication skills and high-level, professional interpersonal skills.
OHSE professional practitioners are in demand because of the increasing focus on the management of occupational health, safety and environmental processes in accordance with the law and regulatory requirements. Graduates of this degree are likely to have increased opportunities across a wide range of professions and industries.
To be eligible for admission to the degree, an applicant must have completed the following prerequisites:
- Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline; or
- Bachelor degree in a different discipline and evidence of two years industry experience.
Work and Life
Students may apply based on:
- At least five years of relevant professional experience
In special circumstances, applicants can submit a proposal alongside a formal application, demonstrating their knowledge, experience, and skills as such that they are likely to succeed in the program.
English Proficiency Requirements
Students whose first language is not English must have either:
- successfully completed at least one full-time year of study in secondary or higher education where the medium of study was English; or
- demonstrated their English proficiency, as set out below.
IELTS: minimum overall score of 6.5 with individual scores of 6.0 in all tests Or
PTE: 58 with a minimum of 50 in all four communicative skills Or
TOEFL: Internet based total of 79: with a minimum of 21 for writing, 18 in speaking, 13 in reading and 12 in listening Or
CAE: Overall CAE of 176. Minimum individual score of 169 in all tests.
Credit for previous study or work
RPL or credit may be granted according to ACU policies. Applicants are advised to contact the degree administrator.
The Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental (OHSE) Management provides students with basic technical competencies in OHSE theory and practice. The course comprises four units that will prepare you for an entry-level position in OHSE. The Graduate Certificate in OHSEM is a pathway program to the Graduate Diploma in OHSEM and Master of OHSEM, both of which are accredited courses that provide students with the educational requirements to seek certification as an OHS Professional.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
All Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management students are advised to start the degree with the introductory subject OHSE601 Principles of OHSE Management.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management students must complete four subjects.