Graduate Certificate in Health Service Management
Grow as a leader in the healthcare industry
Already a manager in public or private health? This pathway course allows you to upskill in four key areas of your choosing, such as ethics and employee relations. Once you graduate, you'll be eligible to continue into a related Graduate Diploma or Masters Degree.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 30 Oct 22
- 06 Feb 22
- 26 Jun 22
- 25 Jan 22
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Work professionally and ethically in situations of difficult moral problems, by abiding to the relevant health management codes of conduct.
- Demonstrate critical, investigative and creative skills for decision-making and entrepreneurship, reflecting adaptive knowledge and skills to suit various contexts and stakeholders in health management.
- Engage in critical inquiry of current and future challenges related to the delivery of health management considering social, environmental, political and economic factors.
For admission to this degree you need to have:
Australian Bachelor Degree or equivalent level standard in any other institution in an unrelated discipline and a minimum of one year relevant work experience in the health sector
Work and Life
A minimum of five years approved relevant work experience in the health sector or other special circumstances (e.g. post-secondary qualifications) as approved by the Dean or delegated authority.
Applicants may also be eligible for this degree by showing approved relevant work experience or other special circumstances as approved by the dean or delegated authority.
The Graduate Certificate in Health Service Management (GCHSM) is an advanced course of study designed to provide management professionals from both the public and private health sectors with training focussed on issues of contemporary professional management theory and practice. The GCHSM units are developed in collaboration with industry to reflect current practices. The GCHSM aims to develop graduates to meet future industry challenges. A blended learning approach enables students to engage with local and national leaders, and partake in industry relevant investigations, through analysis, case studies and research
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended:
Year 1. Choose 4 subjects from the following:
- BAA722 Research Methods in Health Management
- BAA737 Health Management Research Plan
- BAA738 Health Management Research Thesis
- BAA750 Delivering Integrated Care
- BAA751 Evidence Informed Decision Making
- BAA752 Foundations of Integrated Care
- BAA753 Health Ethics, Law and Governance
- BAA754 Health Finance, Economics and Accounting
- BAA755 Healthcare Organisational Behaviour
- BAA756 Healthcare Systems, Safety and Quality
- BAA757 Managing Complex Adaptive Healthcare Organisations
- BAA758 Leading and Managing Healthcare Organisations
- BAA760 Health Ontologies, Terminologies, and Classifications
- BEA674 Data and Business Decision Making
- BMA583 Managing People and the Employment Relationship
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 2 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps. This degree also allows you to get started with Open access.
Select “See subjects”
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Choose how you want to start
You can apply for the full degree or if you want to start with Open access, enrol into the subjects using the “Single subjects” option.
You can apply for the degree later and the subjects may be credited towards the degree.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.
This degree offers Open access entry, exclusive to Open Universities Australia.
There’s more than one way to get a degree. Open access allows you to start with single subjects as a way into eligible degrees, regardless of your study history.
Enrol into and complete the required Open access subjects to earn entry in this degree. Most subjects have no entry requirements, are fully government funded (if you’re eligible) and may be credited when you start the degree.
The best part? You can enrol and get started with single subjects now.