Graduate Certificate in Health Service Management
Grow as a leader in the healthcare industry
Already a manager in public or private health? This pathway course allows you to upskill in four key areas of your choosing, such as ethics and employee relations. Once you graduate, you'll be eligible to continue into a related Graduate Diploma or Masters Degree.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 25 Jun 23
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
- Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Work professionally and ethically in situations of difficult moral problems, by abiding to the relevant health management codes of conduct.
- Demonstrate critical, investigative and creative skills for decision-making and entrepreneurship, reflecting adaptive knowledge and skills to suit various contexts and stakeholders in health management.
- Engage in critical inquiry of current and future challenges related to the delivery of health management considering social, environmental, political and economic factors.
- Demonstrate a range of decision-making and leadership skills in health and wellbeing, problem solving, change and conflict management; accounting for and respecting cultural diversity and the influence of the health management discipline.
- Demonstrate superior communication skills, written or oral, to explain and creatively analyse theoretical propositions, methodologies and conclusions in every day and formal health management contexts.
- Evaluate health organisational data and relevant numerical information to create high-level reports and statistics appropriate for health management discipline.
- Apply knowledge of foundational and contemporary health management theory, principles and processes, and reflect on their efficacy in current practice.
Completion of an AQF level 7 Bachelor degree (or higher) or the equivalent overseas qualification.
Work and Life
A minimum of five years approved relevant work experience in the health sector or other special circumstances (e.g. post-secondary qualifications) as approved by the Dean or delegated authority.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here. https://www.utas.edu.au/study/apply/admission-requirements/recognition-of-prior-learning
The Graduate Certificate of Health Service Management is an advanced program of study designed to provide management professionals from both the public and private health sectors with training focussed on issues of contemporary professional management practice. Some of Australia's leading senior health service executives teach into the subjects. Students are therefore exposed to a level of unparalleled experience and real-world case-studies.
The program is a pathway to the Graduate Diploma in Health Service Management, the Master of Health Service Management and the Master of Health Information Management.
This program is full fee-paying, which means that you will be charged at the full fee-paying rate listed for each subject.
All subjects are delivered primarily off campus (by distance), with non-mandatory, supporting intensive seminars in Sydney.
For more information about the Australian Institute of Health Service Management (AIHSM) including our people and our industry partners please visit our webpages at: https://www.utas.edu.au/business-and-economics/disciplines-and-institutes/australian-institute-of-health-service-management.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended:
Completion of 4 core subjects from the schedule below:
- TAS-BAA722 Research Methods in Health Management
- TAS-BAA737 Health Management Research Plan
- TAS-BAA738 Health Management Research Thesis
- TAS-BAA750 Delivering Integrated Care
- TAS-BAA751 Evidence Informed Decision Making
- TAS-BAA752 Foundations of Integrated Care
- TAS-BAA753 Health Ethics, Law and Governance
- TAS-BAA754 Health Finance, Economics and Accounting
- TAS-BAA755 Healthcare Organisational Behaviour
- TAS-BAA756 Healthcare Systems, Safety and Quality
- TAS-BAA757 Managing Complex Adaptive Healthcare Organisations
- TAS-BAA758 Leading and Managing Healthcare Organisations
- TAS-BAA760 Health Ontologies, Terminologies, and Classifications
- TAS-BEA674 Data and Business Decision Making
- TAS-BMA583 People, Work and Wellbeing
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 0.5-2 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.