Graduate Certificate in Counselling for Education Professionals
Add counselling to your teaching repertoire
A counselling course for education professionals. Learn how to support young students during life challenges. Consider unique counselling strategies for disability, illness, and disorders. Formalise your counselling skills and gain recognition.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Apply advanced counselling specific knowledge and skills to human behaviour with consideration for the lifespan and developmental issues of the individual and/or audience.
- Critically reflect on the challenges of coping with life events and the diversity and variability of experiences of change, loss, grief, trauma and the meanings attached to them.
- Demonstrate advanced critical thinking skills to interpret client information and integrate this with evidence-based interventions to generate, implement and evaluate individualized treatment approaches.
All applicants must submit a full official academic transcript/s to evidence that their undergraduate degree in psychology (or equivalent) has been completed. In some instances, transcripts will not be available until after the closing date and will need to be submitted as soon as they become available. Applicants must hold a Bachelor Degree from a recognised Institution. The degree should include
• a degree with a major in psychology, behavioural or psychological science; or
• a degree in an affiliated area of human services, such as education, social work, law or nursing; or
• other equivalent qualifications or combination of qualifications which required at least one year of full-time tertiary study, or is deemed equivalent by the College of Health and Medicine.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
Education professionals support the learning and support needs of their students, including those relating to social and emotional life challenges. In these situations, being able to provide appropriate counselling strategies to support student needs is paramount. This program will equip graduates with an understanding of counselling process, with particular emphasis on working with children and adolescent presentations. Consideration is given to developmental issues, attachment, disorders of childhood and adolescence, chronic illness and disability. Strategies for intervention will also be addressed including engaging children in therapy and the therapeutic needs of children and adolescents facing specific problems.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
Completion of 4 core subjects from the schedule below:
- TAS-KHA501 - Counselling Skills 1
- TAS-KHA502 - Counselling Skills 2
- TAS-KHA507 - Adjustment To Change
- TAS-KHA618 - Working with Children and Young People
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 0.5-2 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.