Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Graduate Certificate in Communication
All industries value advanced communication skills
Study current trends, best practice, contemporary theories, culture and business communication to be able to formulate a value model for an organisation. Broad career options in research, media, communications and content creation.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 19 Feb 23
- 02 Jul 23
- 22 Oct 23
With a network of campuses spanning three cities in South East Queensland, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from over one hundred countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
Learn more about Griffith.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
- Familiarity and understanding of the history, theory and contexts of the creative industries, public value, visual culture, film, television & media.
- Familiarity with best practice models of public value currently used internationally by organisations to understand, measure and communicate.
- Understanding of the benefits and problems involved in strategic partnering.
- Enhanced understanding of the role played by communications practices in influencing and expressing what publics value.
- Extended understanding of visual languages across various Cultural Industries.
- Skills in comparing and evaluating different value rationales.
- Skills in application of knowledge to the study of current transformations in visual culture.
- Skills in writing to a professional standard for the creative industries, corporations and the community sector.
- Skills in problem solving.
- Skills in semiotic and content analysis.
APPLICATION OF KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Experience in identifying an organisation’s ‘authoring environment’ and the key relations between its constituent parts.
- Experience in developing indicators of public benefits.
- Practical experience in designing a public value model for an organisation to improve its internal and external communication processes and foster resilient relationships with its internal and external communication.
- Development of the ability to map the creation of a project from concept to finished product delivered to an audience in a planned setting.
You will develop your understanding of media communication institutions, their histories, texts, practices and audiences. You will have the skills to theorise, analyse and write about communication issues at an advanced level and will be prepared for positions such as researcher, media manager, communications adviser and content provider.
Bachelors degree in any discipline from a recognised University (or another tertiary education institution of equivalent standing) with a minimum GPA of 4.5 (using a 7.0 scale).
A qualification leading to profession registration (eg Nursing).
Note: This is a postgraduate level program and students will need to be competent in oral and written communication skills to successfully complete this program.
Work and Life
Five years of relevant work experience
English Proficiency Requirements
English language requirements apply to international applicants and other applicants whose previous study was undertaken in a language other than English. The minimum English language requirements for such applicants for entry to these programs are as follows:
A minimum score of 575 on TOEFL
- OR an internet-based (iBT) TOEFL score of 88 (no score less than 21)
- OR a minimum overall band score of 6.5 on IELTS (Academic) with no sub-score of less than 6.0
- OR no score less than 3+ in each skill of the ISLPT (conducted by GELI or ISLPR Language Services only)
- OR a minimum grade of C on the Cambridge Certificate in Advance English (CAE)
- OR a minimum grade of C on the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- OR a minimum score of 61 in the Pearson Test of English (Academic)
RPL/Credit may be awarded according to Griffith University policies and applicants should contact the degree coordinator for further information.
Become a communications specialist and join this exciting and burgeoning industry. Corporations, government and the creative industries need professionals with advanced communication skills. This Communication postgraduate degree from Griffith University is designed to provide you with these specialist skills. Through this online degree you will study current industry practices, contemporary theories of communication, business communication and different aspects of media and culture.
Although this is a restricted degree, individual subjects are available to all students with a bachelor’s degree. Please refer to the Application Process for more information on how to enrol.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students will need to enrol into COM110 and COM190 before, or at the same time as COM100.
To be eligible for the award of Graduate Certificate in Communications (GCertComm) a student must acquire 40 credit points as prescribed below:
- Gain 40 credit points for the core subjects.
- The maximum period for completing this program is 2 years.
When you have completed your final session of study, OUA students should notify Griffith University of their intention to graduate with the award of Graduate Certificate of Communication. Please contact Griffith (OUA) Services on email@example.com
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.