Graduate Diploma of Strategic Communication
Become a more persuasive media professional
Develop even further in your communications career and go after more hands-on roles in the media industry. In this course, you'll discover how to produce compelling content, plan events, and connect with audiences through diverse media channels.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Critically analyse media texts, practices, industries and audiences from a theoretical perspective, showing awareness of local, national and international contexts.
- Communicate scholarly ideas in effective and ethical ways across a variety of media platforms, showing advanced abilities in at least two areas of media production.
- Design and produce media content that responds to a changing and dynamic media environment to a professional standard.
- Reflect critically on your professional development to support collaborative media practices.
Entry into the Graduate Diploma requires:
- A Bachelor’s degree with a credit average in any discipline
Work and Life
Work experience of at least three years in journalism, public relations, event management, and/or the related professions.
English Proficiency Requirements
English Language Requirements are: IELTS 7.0 (no individual band less than 6.5)
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Graduate Diploma of Strategic Communication aims to produce independent and entrepreneurial communicators who can successfully participate in the contemporary media environment.
Designed for those wanting to promote and implement change across a range of social, environment, political and business settings, the course helps you to develop advanced analytical skills and professional-level communications expertise. Students will develop knowledge of the strategic and political communications fields and media industries, and produce and engage with traditional and emergent media platforms and practices.
You will be taught by leading researchers and lecturers, who possess a broad range of industry experience in a state of the art contemporary Media School supported by equipment and technical know-how. The diploma is designed for students seeking the benefits of online learning and intensive workshops and seminars.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended:
Year 1. 8 subjects in the first year including:
- TAS-HEJ509 Strategic Digital Media
- TAS-HEJ510 Public Relations
- TAS-HEJ511 Introduction to Strategic Communication
- TAS-HEJ513 Arts and Cultural Events
- TAS-HEJ708 Professional Placement
- TAS-HEJ715 Communicating Science
- TAS-HEJ719 Multiplatform Storytelling
Choose 1 subject from the following:
- TAS-BMA506 Foundations of Marketing
- TAS-BMA604 Consumer Decision-Making
- TAS-BMA610 Digital and Social Media Marketing
- TAS-CAM520 Global Health Systems
- TAS-CAM528 Introduction to Epidemiology
- TAS-CAM529 Introduction to Public Health
- TAS-CAM617 Environment Health
- TAS-HGA501 Sustainable Tourism Development
- TAS-HGA502 Global Issues in Tourism
- TAS-HGA601 Critical and Contested Issues in Cultural Heritage
- TAS-HGA602 The Sharing Economy and Disruptive Innovations
- TAS-KGA516 Ecosystem Conservation
- TAS-KGA517 Protected Area Planning and Management Systems
- TAS-KSA726 Marine and Antarctic Environments
- TAS-KSM703 Global Environmental Governance
Satisfactory completion of 8 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 3 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.