Graduate Certificate in Business Studies
Add contemporary business practices to your graduate skill set
Lock in the business fundamentals of accounting, management, and marketing. Understand corporate sustainability and social responsibility. Graduate with solid business theory and practices or continue your journey towards an MBA.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Subjects may require attendance
- 27 Jun 21
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Develop high level written and oral communication skills to explain and critique theoretical propositions, methodologies and conclusions and apply these to complex management problems across audiences characterised by culturally and linguistically diverse people with varying levels of expertise.
- Critically evaluate in‐depth knowledge of foundational and contemporary management theory, principles and processes and reflect on their efficacy in current practice.
A completed Australian Advanced Diploma or above, or approved equivalent from any overseas institution as assessed by the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR).
Work and Life
At least two years' management experience.* You must provide evidence to support your eligibility for the degree, in particular a copy of your CV showing your work experience, and letters of reference from line managers or similar to confirm the work experience meets the minimum level for entry. Minimum management experience in this case is defined as supervisory, team leader or business manager experience. In the case of applicants who have worked as a sole trader or consultant, additional evidence to support the level of experience must be provided.
The Graduate Certificate in Business Studies is designed to ensure you are equipped with the skills and knowledge to succeed in postgraduate business programs. You will cultivate your skills in critical thinking and analysis, reflective practice and professional presentation, as well as developing an understanding and knowledge base of contemporary business theory and practices around marketing, accounting and organisational management.
This Graduate Certificate is ideal for those students who intend to undertake postgraduate coursework programs with the Tasmanian School of Business and Economics, but have never studied at university before. It is a qualifying pathway degree for admission to the following degrees:
- Master of Business Administration (International)
- Master of Finance
- Master of Finance (Specialisation)
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master of Professional Accounting (Specialisation)
The Graduate Certificate in Business Studies is a 4‐unit course, offered full time and part time. This course is full fee‐paying, which means that you will be charged at the full fee‐paying rate listed for each unit.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended
- Year 1. 4 subjects in first year including:
- TAS-BFA526 Accounting for Managers
- TAS-BFA527 Corporate Sustainability
- TAS-BMA501 Fundamentals of Management
- TAS-BMA506 Foundations of Marketing
Completion of 4 subjects as outlined in the recommended study pattern.
Choose subjects to begin.
You can apply for government funding or pay up-front.