Graduate Certificate in Addiction Studies for Health Professionals
Help those with addictions lead a healthier life
Take your health career to the next level with a specialisation in addiction. Understand dependency, maladaptive behaviours and epidemiological indicators. Explore intervention. Gain the sensitivity to help clients, their families and friends.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 09 Feb 22
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon successful completion of this degree, students should be able to:
- Integrate theoretical foundations and practice of addiction studies across a broad range of practice encounters
- Incorporate evidence-informed contemporary practice in the intervention, treatment and rehabilitation of addictive disorders, establishment and evaluation of policy, and management of services related to addiction
- Foster a reasoned and critical perspective to social, political, environmental, and economic impacts on addiction
- Critically evaluate research findings and professional practice to inform projects in addiction studies
- Develop high level written and oral communication skills to examine and explain theoretical propositions, methodologies and conclusions across culturally and linguistically diverse audiences with varying levels of expertise
After completing this course, you’ll be better equipped to provide effective and appropriate care for those living with addictive disorders. Whether you’re already in the field or looking to move from your current health role into this area, the work you do as part of the Graduate Certificate will be a great start to your future career.
A bachelor’s degree, or higher, or equivalent qualification, in a health related discipline. This will include any bachelor degree that is offered by UTAS College of Health and Medicine, or an equivalent at another university or a bachelor in social work, or psychology, or social sciences police studies. And be working in a health care setting (this includes but is not limited to a hospital, a health clinic, aged care setting, primary health care, department of community services).
Work and Life
Students may apply if they are currently employed in a field related to addictive disorders or based on evidence of study or experience deemed to be equivalent to the above.
English Proficiency Requirements
The minimum English language test score requirements for postgraduate coursework programs are as follows:
- IELTS (Academic): 6.0 (no individual band less than 6.0); or
- TOEFL (iBT): 72 (no skill below: Reading 16; Listening 16; Speaking 18; Writing 22); or
- PTE Academic: 50 with no score lower than 50; or
- UTASAccess-English: Level 7 - 60% (no individual score less than 60%); or
- Cambridge CAE (Certificate of Advanced English): B Grade; or
- Cambridge CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English): C Grade; or
- Cambridge BEC (Business English Certificate) or Higher: C Grade
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
Addiction in some form takes a toll on countless people throughout Australia and beyond. For these people to overcome their struggle, they need the help of caring, committed and qualified professionals. This course gives you the insight and skills to offer that help.
If you’re a health professional looking to further your work with clients affected by addictive disorders then this course can provide the knowledge, awareness and skills to do that.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students must complete 4 subjects as outlined in the below recommended study pattern:
- TAS-CNA547 Contexts of Addiction
- TAS-CNA548 Assessment and Management of Addictive Disorders
- TAS-CNA549 Approaches to Intervention
- TAS-CNA550 Self-Directed Project in Addiction Studies
Successful completion of 4 subjects from the schedule of subject offerings, finishing within 1 to 3 years
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select “See subjects”
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.