Diploma of Family History
Discover the secrets of your family’s past
What does your family history entail? In today’s age, it’s possible to find out a lot about our ancestors. You just need to know where to look, and what to do with information. Build skills in finding, interpreting, storing and sharing information.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon successful completion of this degree, students should have:
- Locate, identify and analyse relevant historical information from sources available online, in archives and libraries, and in family collections.
- Organise family history data and research materials in physical and digital form.
- Evaluate, interpret and use historical information to create family histories in a variety of forms.
- Communicate historical knowledge, ideas and skills accurately, ethically and creatively in a range of contexts.
- Use relevant digital tools and technologies, such as computers, software and the internet, for researching, recording and creating family histories.
Open enrolment subjects
Successful completion of 3 subjects through OUA including at least 2 of the following:
- HAA007, HAA104 and/or HAA106
Students may apply based on previous higher education study:
- Completed AQF Diploma level or higher
- Partial study at Associate Degree level or higher with a passing GPA on a 50% study load in undergraduate - degree level subjects
- Completion of a University Enabling program
TCE with minimum Satisfactory Achievement (SA) in minimum 4 level 3 or 4 subjects; or completed Year 12 with ATAR
Completed Certificate III or IV
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
There's a world of information at our fingertips about our ancestors' lives. It's simply a matter of knowing where to look, and what to do with material once you uncover it.
The online Diploma of Family History course builds your skills and knowledge in finding and interpreting information about your ancestors (or even someone else's), and sharing family stories with others. It's not solely about the paper trail though. Objects, images, and places also play a part in learning about the past.
You will also learn about organising, storing, and conserving knowledge for future generations.
Recommended Study Pattern
To complete the Diploma of Family History you will need to complete 8 subjects, consisting of:
- 4 Foundation level subjects:
- TAS-HAA003 Introduction to Family History
- TAS-HAA004 Writing Family History
- TAS-HAA006 Place, Image, Object
- TAS-HAA007 Convict Ancestors
- TAS-HEJ001 The Photo Essay: An Introduction
- 4 Introductory level subjects.
- TAS-HAA104 Writing the Family Saga
- TAS-HAA106 Oral History
- TAS-HAA107 Families at War
- TAS-HAA108 Migrant Families
While you may complete the units in any order, we strongly recommend commencing your course with HAA003 Introduction to Family History.
Satisfactory completion of 8 subjects listed in the course schedule, finishing within 3 years
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps. This degree also allows you to get started with Open access.
Select “See subjects”
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Choose how you want to start
You can apply for the full degree or if you want to start with Open access, enrol into the subjects using the “Single subjects” option.
You can apply for the degree later and the subjects may be credited towards the degree.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.
This degree offers Open access entry, exclusive to Open Universities Australia.
There’s more than one way to get a degree. Open access allows you to start with single subjects as a way into eligible degrees, regardless of your study history.
Enrol into and complete the required Open access subjects to earn entry in this degree. Most subjects have no entry requirements, are fully government funded (if you’re eligible) and may be credited when you start the degree.
The best part? You can enrol and get started with single subjects now.