Writing Creative Non-Fiction - An Introduction
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Develop creative nonfiction writing and reading skills in relation to concepts, topics, craft, technique and voice
- Plan, write, edit and rewrite text-based creative nonfiction works
- Analyse and discuss the work of others in varied writing communities
- Undertake advanced research utilising libraries, journal and archival databases, visual records, site visits and/or interviews
- Demonstrate knowledge of Australian and international writing and publishing.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
Admission to Master of Creative Writing NCCW (pre-2020 units) ENGL714, CWPG815
No additional requirements
In this practical introduction to writing creative nonfiction students research and write a number of narrative non-fiction pieces from genres including memoir, personal essay, and environmental writing. We consider what creative non-fiction is, looking at the varied cultural contexts in which these very popular and influential texts are currently being written and published, with a focus on the Australian scene. This introductory unit is suitable for students from interdisciplinary backgrounds including creative writing, ethnography, cultural studies, journalism, philosophy and history. You devise your topics in consultation with the lecturer, and are guided in the development of skills in primary research and narrative writing techniques. Assessment is based on participation, practical research tasks and your non-fiction writing.
- Creative work (minor) (10%%)
- Project plan (20%%)
- Creative work (major) (50%%)
- Participatory task (20%%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.