What does a technical writer do?
Duties and tasks
- Transform complex information into documentation (manuals, text books, handbooks) that can be easily understood by the intended audience.
- Conduct extensive research and write technical and information-based content.
- Analyse and understand the need of the target audiences to ensure documentation aligns with their requirements.
Discover related degrees
Bachelor of Communication
- Major in Journalism
- Major in Public Relations
- Major in Business Communication
- Major in Creative Writing
- Major in Screen Studies
Discover related subjects
Writing, Rhetoric and Persuasion
- Bachelor of Arts (Professional Writing and Publishing)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital and Social Media) (Professional Writing and Publishing)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital Experience and Interaction Design) (Professional Writing and Publishing)
- Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art) (Professional Writing and Publishing)
- Bachelor of Arts (Professional Writing and Publishing) (Visual Culture)
- Bachelor of Arts (Japanese)
- Bachelor of Arts (Chinese)
- Bachelor of Arts (Animation and Game Design)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital and Social Media)
- Bachelor of Communications
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.