Master of Creative Writing
Elevate your writing to a professional level
Enrich your writing with academic perspectives. From print to digital, you’ll cover all the genres. Explore creative non-fiction and feature writing. Develop your manuscript. Edit. Revise. Give and receive feedback. Write with peers under expert guidance.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 07 Jul 24
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie University.
Explore Macquarie courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
When would you like to chat?
Let me pick a time
Find a time that suits you for a free 1:1 consultation.
Call me anytime
An advisor will call you, usually within 30 minutes.
What you'll learn
On successful completion, students will be able to:
- Apply advanced skills in creative writing to research, write, and edit works of creative writing across a range of narrative and poetry-based genres.
- Develop digital and print-based editing, creative writing and production skills.
- Show an advanced capacity to read and analyse language, narrative and poetry, and other literary genres as creative writing practitioners.
- Demonstrate the capacity to think creatively, critically and imaginatively to research, evaluate and present complex ideas, concepts, problems and processes through creative writing.
- Identify, analyse and create written works that engage with relevant social, cultural, global and ethical issues.
- Have the capacity to work independently and autonomously as well as demonstrating skills in reciprocity, responsibility and collaboration within groups.
- Gain knowledge of and develop skill readiness for professional publication opportunities, and careers in the Arts and Communication industries.
Graduates in the Master of Creative Writing have the skills and knowledge to work in Arts industries as writers, editors and creative content producers; as technical, professional and creative writers; in publishing, marketing and publicity. Expertise in written composition and analysis also make the graduates employable in government and public service positions, and in industries which require high level communication skills not normally associated with written composition, such as the banking and financial sectors. Expertise in learning and teaching of creative writing and the analysis of contemporary literature enables graduates to work in primary and secondary school settings and libraries as heads of subject and mentors with advanced knowledge of their field.
Units of study can contribute to primary and secondary teacher ongoing Professional Learning requirement.
- AQF level 8 bachelor honours or graduate diploma qualification in a related field or recognised equivalent, or
- Meet two of the following three criteria:
- AQF level 7 bachelor's qualification in a related field or recognised equivalent
- Approved work experience, professional certification or other recognised prior learning
- AQF level 7 bachelor's qualification or recognised equivalent with a WAM of 65
English Proficiency Requirements
The required standard of English for this program is:
Academic IELTS of 7 overall (with minimum 6.5 in each band) or equivalent.
All applicants to coursework programs at Macquarie University are required to provide evidence of proficiency in English.
For more information on accepted equivalents, please see English Language Requirements.
Credit for previous study or work
The Core zone is compulsory.
The Master of Creative Writing is designed to extend and challenge emerging writers to hone their craft in a small community of writers. The focus is on developing your creativity and writing skills, and to provide expert training if you are aiming for professional publication. You are encouraged to experiment, hone your craft and to develop a technical vocabulary for critiquing your own work and the work of others. Specialist units in the degree engage with novel and short story writing, creative nonfiction (such as memoir, writing about place, personal essay), poetry, writing for young adults and manuscript development.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
Completion of 8 subjects
- ENGX8010 Creative Writing Sminar: Narrative Fundamentals
- ENGX8015 Writing Creative Non-Fiction - An Introduction
- ENGX8022 Short Form Writing - Short story, Novella, Poetry Cycle
- ENGX8075 Professional Contexts of Literary and Feature Writing
The Master of Creative Writing is a postgraduate coursework degree consisting of a minimum of 80 credit points.
Choose your subjects
Elective Subjects: (40 credit points)
Complete 4 subjects from the following options:
- ENGX8011 Word Essentials: Prose and Poetry
- ENGX8017 Writing the Past, Building New Worlds: Fiction and Non-Fiction
- ENGX8026 Developing the Novel or Novella
- ENGX8036 Manuscript Project
- ENGX8030 Digital Creative Writing : Interactive Prose and Poetry
- ENGX8090 Research for Creative Writing
Registering in this degree
Once you have been admitted into your degree, you must enrol in at least one subject in the study term immediately following admission, and you must remain enrolled past the census date. If not, your admission will lapse and you will need to re-apply for the degree again. Deferment is not available for OUA students.
Visit Studying a degree through OUA for further information.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.