How to become a sports coach
What does a sports coach do?
Duties and tasks
- Demonstrate what is expected of the athletes.
- Devise game plans and strategies.
- Exercise safety precautions.
- Instruct and coaches athletes to learn their sports and develop their skills.
- Interpret and enforces the rules and regulations of a sport.
- Provide motivation and teaches good sportsmanship.
- Schedule sporting events.
- Department of Sport and Recreation (NSW)
- Department of Sport and Recreation (WA)
- Northern Territory Institute of Sport
- Queensland Academy of Sport
- Sport and Recreation Services (ACT)
- Tasmanian Institute of Sport
- Victorian Institute of Sport
- Fitness instructor
- Outdoor adventure leader
- Recreation officer
- Sports official
- Sports psychologist
- Sports scientist
Discover related sports degrees
Discover related sports subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.