Nutrition For Sports Performance
Your upfront cost: $0
- 01 Mar 2021
- 30 Aug 2021
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Analyse and evaluate methods used to estimate or measure energy expenditure, dietary intake and body composition in athlete;
- evaluate and assess the nutritional demands of athletic performance in a variety of sports and life stages;
- Assess and apply evidence-based literature regarding current issues and practices in sports nutrition.
- Introduction to sports nutrition
- Exercise physiology and metabolism; energy systems
- Energy requirements and estimating energy expenditure
- Macronutrient requirements
- Training and competition demands in various sports
- Sports foods, supplements and ergogenic aids
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation you will be permitted to enrol in this subject, however you should withdraw your enrolment, or it will be withdrawn on your behalf, if you are unsuccessful in passing the prerequisite subject once results are released.
- OtherDetails - This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia, late enrolments are generally not permitted past the published close of application date for the study period. For students not enrolled in the prerequisite courses, you may be able to undertake these subjects with approval of your home course coordinator, please contact ASK La Trobe for assistance.
In this subject students will learn the essentials of human nutrition that improve and sustain optimal performance for sport and exercise for athletes and active individuals. It will cover topics including assessment of energy needs, dietary intake and body composition in athletes; training and competition nutrition, sports foods and supplements; nutrition for specific sports and life stages and current issues in sports nutrition.
Please note: this subject was previously known as Sports Nutrition.
- 1750 word assignment (60%)
- 2 x 45-min online quizzes (2000 word equivalent) (40%)
Current study term: 28 Feb 21 to 30 May 21)
Textbook information is pending.
Next study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Textbook information is pending.