Nutrition For Sports Performance
Weigh up the nutritional demands of athletes. Isolate nutrition’s role in muscle gain or fat loss and optimising performance. Tackle subjects like sports supplements, fluid intake and the nutritional challenges that can affect older active individuals.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Aug 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Analyse and evaluate methods used to estimate or measure energy expenditure, dietary intake and body composition in athletes;
- Evaluate and assess the nutritional demands of athletic performance in a variety of sports and life stages;
- Assess and apply evidence-based literature regarding current issues and practices in sports nutrition.
- Introduction to sports nutrition
- Exercise physiology and metabolism; energy systems
- Energy requirements and estimating energy expenditure
- Macronutrient requirements
- Training and competition demands in various sports
- Sports foods, supplements and ergogenic aids
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
andand one of
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Past La Trobe University students who have previously completed DTN3SPN Sports Nutrition are ineligible to enrol in this subject.
- Other requirements - Late enrolments are generally not permitted past the published close of application date for the study period. For students not enrolled in the prerequisite courses, you may be able to undertake these subjects with approval of your home course coordinator, please contact ASK La Trobe for assistance. Students who successfully complete two from the four open enrolment subjects (HBS101, DTN101, CHM101, PHE102) may apply under the Academic Eligibility category for admission to the restricted Bachelor of Food and Nutrition. You must be enrolled in the Bachelor of Food and Nutrition to be eligible to enrol in all other non-open access subjects offered in the degree.
In this subject you will learn the essentials of human nutrition that improve and sustain optimal performance for sport and exercise for athletes and active individuals. This subject will cover topics including assessment of energy needs, dietary intake and body composition in athletes; training and competition nutrition, sports foods and supplements; nutrition for specific sports and life stages and current issues in sports nutrition.
Please note: this subject was previously known as Sports Nutrition.
- One 1,750-word assignment (60%)
- 2 x 45-minute online quizzes (2000 word total equivalent) (40%)
Current study term: 28 Aug 22 to 27 Nov 22