Food as Medicine
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Evaluate bioactive compounds in food and their biological properties.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of foods, functional foods, nutraceuticals, and medicines in health and to prevent or treat various diseases using the literature.
- Evaluate issues of formulation and delivery of functional ingredients in foods.
- Interpret and apply the latest regulatory requirements for functional foods and associated health claims.
- Introduction to Food as Medicine
- Phytonutrients and phytomedicines
- Regulatory requirements/Health claims of functional foods
- Food bioactives and diabetes
- Food bioactives and cardiovascular disease
- Nutrition and inflammation
- Food bioactives and obesity
- Food bioactives and bone and oral health
- Probiotics and prebiotics
- Food bioactives and cancer
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
Learn to evaluate the role foods, functional foods, bioactives, and nutrients have in preventing or treating diseases. This course will expand on your knowledge in food, nutrition and health. You’ll cover a broad range of topics including phytonutrients and phytomedicines, health claims of functional foods, food bioactives and diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, cancer, bone and oral health, nutrition and inflammation, and probiotics and prebiotics.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a third-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of Health Science (Nutrition and Exercise) degree. Please note: you are responsible for completing any relevant prerequisite courses before enrolling in this course.
- Report - 2000 words (40%)
- Portfolio (60%)