Bachelor of Health Science (Nutrition and Exercise)
Exercise a career in health science.
Exercise a holistic approach to nutrition and exercise. Work out ways to build performance and flexible skills across complementary fields. Support community health and wellbeing. Get physical and exercise preventative health. Fuel a healthier society.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about UniSA.
Explore UniSA courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
The Bachelor of Health Science (Nutrition and Exercise) will give you a solid foundation in all aspects of exercise and nutrition, so that you graduate ready to improve the health, fitness and wellbeing of the community.
You’ll understand diets and lifestyles for optimum health and the associations between nutrient intake, energy output and obesity.
You’ll also learn how to manage and improve nutrition and diet related to physical activity and lifestyle changes, and how to maximise physical performance for healthy active people.
Some of the courses you’ll study include:
- Professional Communication to work in the Health Industry
- Psychology of Exercise, Sport and Health
- Nutrition for Exercise and Performance
- Health Promotion & Project Management for Health and Wellness
- Food as Medicine
You can tailor your degree to your interests and broaden your career prospects through your choice of electives. You can select two electives from a range of UniSA Online degrees.
By studying this degree you will build your skills in two highly complementary fields that is a powerful combination in demand by industry professionals.
Careers to consider include:
- Health and wellness lifestyle adviser
- Nutrition and exercise consultant
- Corporate health and wellness adviser
- Health promotion officer
- Active and healthy ageing adviser
This UniSA Online degree is currently available for Commonwealth supported students.
Applicants are required to fulfil at least one of the following requirements with a competitive result and meet any other academic requirements for the program:
- successfully completed equivalent to a minimum of half a year of full-time study of a higher education program at a recognised higher education provider
- completed an award from a registered training organisation at Certificate IV level or above
- passed a UniSA Online literacy and numeracy test and have relevant work experience
- completed a secondary education qualification equivalent to SACE, such as an interstate year 12 or international qualification
- completed a UniSA Foundation Studies Program or equivalent
- qualified for Special Entry
Students who do not meet these criteria can start studying now by enrolling in the subjects below. Students will be eligible to apply upon successful completion of four subjects and all subjects will be credited towards the degree.
- HLTH1053 Foundations of Health and Physical Activity
- BIOL1052 Foundations of Human Biology 1
- BIOL1054 Foundations of Nutrition and Health
- HLTH1054 Health and Society
- HLTH2034 Health Promotion
- HLTH1055 Lifespan Growth and Motor Development
UniSA Online offers four start dates throughout the year so you can apply as soon as you’re ready. Information regarding key dates can be found here:
For more information or if you are unsure of your eligibility please contact an OUA Student Advisor on 1300 729 424.
Information regarding credit can be found here:
Study Nutrition and Exercise On Demand with UniSA Online and take full control over your study. Access support seven days a week, plan your study to fit around your life, view learning resources 24/7, and log into the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a unique 100% online degree if you are looking to gain skills in two highly complementary fields and take your passion for nutrition and exercise to the next level.
Real-world learning is a key focus in this UniSA Online degree. You will work on projects that can be implemented in a community or workplace so this is your opportunity to make a difference to the health and wellbeing of those around you.
With many years of experience in exercise science and nutrition education, you will benefit from the University of South Australia’s long-standing history and learn from expert academics and researchers who are leaders in their field.
Through theoretical and practical learning, you’ll gain specialised knowledge to promote nutrition and exercise for preventative health while developing the skills to inspire a healthy and more active society.
Recommended Study Pattern
Note: The program structure is subject to change at any time. (Information correct as at August 2019)
- Foundations of Health and Physical Activity (HLTH 1053)
- Foundations of Human Biology 1(BIOL 1052)
- Health and Society (HLTH 1054)
- Foundations of Human Biology 2 (BIOL 1053)
- Lifespan Growth and Motor Development (HLTH 1055)
- Health Promotion (HLTH 2034)
- Foundations of Nutrition and Health (BIOL 1054)
- Body in Motion 1 (HLTH 2032)
- Human Nutrition (HLTH 2035)
- Theory of Exercise Testing and Prescription 1 (HLTH 2037)
- Nutrition and Exercise Biochemistry (HLTH 2036)
- Body in Motion 2 (HLTH 2033)
- Theory of Exercise Testing and Prescription 2 (HLTH 2038)
- Lifespan Nutrition (BIOL 2060)
- Food Safety, Quality and Security (HLTH 3063)
- Professional Communication to Work in the Health Industry (HLTH 2031)
- Psychology of Exercise, Sport and Health (HLTH 3066)
- Project Management for Health and Wellness (HLTH 3065)
- Food as Medicine (FOSC 3017)
- Nutrition for Exercise and Performance (HLTH 3064)
- Applications in Nutrition and Exercise (HLTH 3067)
Completion of 24 units including 2 electives.