Foundations of Nutrition and Health
Passionate about how foods fuel the body? Get an introduction to nutrition and health. Understand how nutrition can impact bodily and psychological outcomes. Design a balanced meal plan which complies with the Australian Guidelines to Healthy Eating.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 20 Sep 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of key areas and topics in nutrition and health.
- Demonstrate knowledge of research methodologies employed in nutrition and health studies.
- Find and interpret information relevant to nutrition and health with respect to its accuracy, reliability and relevance.
- Develop communication skills using different media for different audiences (professional, scientific and public).
- Overview, health and the food people eat
- Healthy eating and dietary guidelines
- Nutrients, Nutrient Reference Values (NRVs) and reading food labels
- Research approaches in nutrition and health
- Communication skills: communicating professionally
- Assessing nutritional status in individuals and groups
- Nutritional assessment of groups and populations
- Food production systems, food marketing and food security
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
Discover why people eat the food that they do. Examine the principles behind the Australian Guidelines to Healthy Eating (AGHE) and learn to apply these to a healthy diet.
As part of your assessments, you will learn to design a nutritionally balanced meal plan which complies with the AGHE and provide recommendations to reduce the risk of developing chronic disease.
Learn about food composition tables and dietary analysis. Uncover how cultural background, food marketing, ecological and environmental factors influence food consumption. Hone your professional and scientific communication skills in various scenarios. Acquire new skills in sourcing information using credible resources, reading and critically analysing scientific literature. Learn to communicate and deliver information in a format your audience will understand.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of Health Science (Nutrition and Exercise) degree.
- Assignment (40%)
- Portfolio (60%)
Current study term: 19 Sep 21 to 26 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.