How to become a dietitian
Pathways to this career
- Study a course in dietetics accredited by Dietitians Australia.
- Already have a bachelor degree? Change career pathways by completing an accredited postgraduate dietetics degree.
- Complete one year of supervised Provisional Program. This will allow you to gain Accredited Practicing Dietitian (APD) accreditation from the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA).
- Once APD accreditation is achieved, you can then practice as a dietitian.
- ADP accreditation must be renewed annually by completing 30 hours Continued Professional Development.
What does a dietitian do?Dietitians work with patients, healthcare workers and community members to recognize healthy nutrition and understand health implications of diet. They teach proper eating habits for mainstream and individualised needs in order to produce optimal health and treat or prevent illness.
Duties and tasks
- Advise individuals and community groups such as educational institutions on healthy eating patterns and provide sample diets and menus.
- Conduct research and understand health, nutrition and food as it relates to communities, cultural and ethnic groups.
- Determine nutritional values of foods and interpret best foods for particular needs or illnesses.
- Generate educational literature on healthy eating habits for different age groups and high-risk eating and drinking practices.
- Meet with individuals to conduct nutrition assessments and manage nutrition with health goals.
- Research illnesses and diseases relating to nutrition as well as nutritional components of food and beverages.
- Work with healthcare professionals to supplement health treatments and recommendations with dietary planning and restrictions.
Related jobs and job titles
- Dietary Aide
- Food Technologist
- Health Promotion Practitioner
- Nutritional Scientist
- Sports Scientist
- Weight Loss Counsellor
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.