How to become a civil engineering technician
What does a civil engineering technician do?
Civil engineering technicians perform a wide variety of tasks both in offices and in the field. A civil engineering technician must have a vast knowledge of codes and regulations in order to create and develop acceptable and viable civil engineering plans.
Duties and tasks
- Compute and analyse all data pertaining to the project.
- Conduct studies relevant to the project.
- Create sketches, charts and other visible aids required for projects.
- Direct and assist in work on the job site.
- Enlist the aid of the correct machinery and equipment as well as ensure proper operation of such.
- Estimate project costs and ensure construction stays within budget.
- Order appropriate lab testing and analysis for the job.
- Prepare plans and designs necessary for civil engineering projects.
- Use proper procedures for the individual job.
- Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia
- Engineers Australia
- Master Builders Australia
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.