How to become a civil engineering technician
What does a civil engineering technician do?
Civil engineering technicians perform a wide variety of tasks both in offices and in the field. A civil engineering technician must have a vast knowledge of codes and regulations in order to create and develop acceptable and viable civil engineering plans.
Duties and tasks
- Compute and analyse all data pertaining to the project.
- Conduct studies relevant to the project.
- Create sketches, charts and other visible aids required for projects.
- Direct and assist in work on the job site.
- Enlist the aid of the correct machinery and equipment as well as ensure proper operation of such.
- Estimate project costs and ensure construction stays within budget.
- Order appropriate lab testing and analysis for the job.
- Prepare plans and designs necessary for civil engineering projects.
- Use proper procedures for the individual job.
- Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia
- Engineers Australia
- Master Builders Australia
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.