How to become a civil engineering technician
What does a civil engineering technician do?
Civil engineering technicians perform a wide variety of tasks both in offices and in the field. A civil engineering technician must have a vast knowledge of codes and regulations in order to create and develop acceptable and viable civil engineering plans.
Duties and tasks
- Compute and analyse all data pertaining to the project.
- Conduct studies relevant to the project.
- Create sketches, charts and other visible aids required for projects.
- Direct and assist in work on the job site.
- Enlist the aid of the correct machinery and equipment as well as ensure proper operation of such.
- Estimate project costs and ensure construction stays within budget.
- Order appropriate lab testing and analysis for the job.
- Prepare plans and designs necessary for civil engineering projects.
- Use proper procedures for the individual job.
- Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia
- Engineers Australia
- Master Builders Australia
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
What is a mental health nurse and what do they do?
Australia desperately needs more mental health nurses to support people with mental illness. Read on to find out what this interesting nursing specialty is all about.
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.