How to become a mechanical engineer
Pathways to this career
- Study an undergraduate qualification in the field of engineering, majoring in mechanical engineering.
- Mechanical engineers can continue their studies with a postgraduate qualification in to become a consultant, manager or project leader.
- If you wish to work as a mechanical engineer, you must get a Professional Engineer’s Licence. Eligibility usually requires at least four years of engineering practice.
What does a mechanical engineer do?Mechanical Engineers primarily design and construct large-scale industrial and mechanical processing plants and facilities. They also plan and coordinate manufacturing activities and take on administrative tasks like drawing up budgets and ensuring programs are run smoothly and efficiently.
Duties and tasks
- Coordinate labour and manpower and building sites.
- Design layout for future industrial facilities.
- Determine the cost effectiveness of given programs and mechanical projects.
- Develop plans for mechanical processes and systems.
- Draw up plans for mechanical equipment and machines.
- Inspect machinery to ensure everything is up to specific code.
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Do you need a masters to work in a library?
Librarians play an important role in keeping information accessible and helping people find what they need. But what qualifications do you actually need to become a librarian in Australia?
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.