How to become a mechanical engineering technician
What does a mechanical engineering technician do?
Mechanical engineering technicians conduct tests, analyse data, and collect information on or about mechanical systems. This may include the installation or assembly of these systems in support of mechanical engineers or technologists.
Duties and tasks
- Assemble and install mechanical systems.
- Collect and analyse data related to mechanical engineering jobs.
- Communicate with clients, fellow workers, researchers, and supervisors to share analysed data.
- Draw, design, plan, and implement mechanical aspects of technology or other products.
- Serve as a second pair of hands for engineering technologists.
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.