How to become an electrical engineer
Pathways to this career
- Aspiring engineers must complete an undergraduate electrical engineering degree, with a major in electrical engineering.
- Study a postgraduate course in engineering to further your chances of obtaining a management or project lead role.
- Apply for a Professional Engineer's License and work independently as a contractor. Prerequisites include a completed bachelor of engineering, and at least 4 years of industry work experience.
What does an electrical engineer do?Electrical engineers design electronics in a variety of capacities. They conduct research on and design electrical component, equipment, or systems. At times, they also must test and maintain the machinery or equipment they have developed.
Duties and tasks
- Design electrical components like cathode ray tubes, circuit breakers, or conductors.
- Develop larger electrical machinery like motors.
- Interpret research, drawings, specifications, and regulations to fit the problem at hand.
- May specialise in fields like air traffic control, power generation, traffic systems, consumer products, electric motors, etc.
- Plan, design, and maintain overall electrical systems or power distribution networks.
- Survey the operations of electrical systems and networks.
- Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia
- Engineers Australia is the national forum for the advancement of engineering
- National Engineering Registration Board
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.