How to become a civil engineering draftsperson
What does a civil engineering draftsperson do?
Civil engineering draftspersons create mechanical drawings or blueprints and help civil engineers plan, sketch, design, and operate production. They should have strong research and organisational abilities and be able to multi-task.
Duties and tasks
- Choose proper equipment and crew for particular job specifications.
- Draft drawings, blueprints, diagrams and plans for civil engineering projects including sewage and draining systems, dams and water provisions, dams, bridges, roads, etc.
- Evaluate construction sites and materials and gather information for weight and measurement requirements
- Manage fieldwork operations and oversee progress.
- Prepare estimated budgets for civil engineering project costs.
- Supervise production and ensure that projects are meeting correct dimensions, regulations and provisions of the contract.
- Survey civil engineering sites and plan repair work and maintenance.
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.