How to become a civil engineering draftsperson
What does a civil engineering draftsperson do?
Civil engineering draftspersons create mechanical drawings or blueprints and help civil engineers plan, sketch, design, and operate production. They should have strong research and organisational abilities and be able to multi-task.
Duties and tasks
- Choose proper equipment and crew for particular job specifications.
- Draft drawings, blueprints, diagrams and plans for civil engineering projects including sewage and draining systems, dams and water provisions, dams, bridges, roads, etc.
- Evaluate construction sites and materials and gather information for weight and measurement requirements
- Manage fieldwork operations and oversee progress.
- Prepare estimated budgets for civil engineering project costs.
- Supervise production and ensure that projects are meeting correct dimensions, regulations and provisions of the contract.
- Survey civil engineering sites and plan repair work and maintenance.
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.