How to become a civil engineering draftsperson
What does a civil engineering draftsperson do?
Civil engineering draftspersons create mechanical drawings or blueprints and help civil engineers plan, sketch, design, and operate production. They should have strong research and organisational abilities and be able to multi-task.
Duties and tasks
- Choose proper equipment and crew for particular job specifications.
- Draft drawings, blueprints, diagrams and plans for civil engineering projects including sewage and draining systems, dams and water provisions, dams, bridges, roads, etc.
- Evaluate construction sites and materials and gather information for weight and measurement requirements
- Manage fieldwork operations and oversee progress.
- Prepare estimated budgets for civil engineering project costs.
- Supervise production and ensure that projects are meeting correct dimensions, regulations and provisions of the contract.
- Survey civil engineering sites and plan repair work and maintenance.
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.