How to become a civil engineering draftsperson
What does a civil engineering draftsperson do?
Civil engineering draftspersons create mechanical drawings or blueprints and help civil engineers plan, sketch, design, and operate production. They should have strong research and organisational abilities and be able to multi-task.
Duties and tasks
- Choose proper equipment and crew for particular job specifications.
- Draft drawings, blueprints, diagrams and plans for civil engineering projects including sewage and draining systems, dams and water provisions, dams, bridges, roads, etc.
- Evaluate construction sites and materials and gather information for weight and measurement requirements
- Manage fieldwork operations and oversee progress.
- Prepare estimated budgets for civil engineering project costs.
- Supervise production and ensure that projects are meeting correct dimensions, regulations and provisions of the contract.
- Survey civil engineering sites and plan repair work and maintenance.
Discover engineering courses
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.