Introduction to Chinese 1A
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Apply the basic elements of Mandarin Chinese, particularly the phonetic system (pinyin) of simplified Chinese characters, vocabulary, and sentence structure to construct units of communication.
- Interpret the meaning of basic written and spoken Mandarin Chinese, making use of pinyin and Chinese characters.
- Identify cultural and linguistic considerations for written and verbal communication.
- Communicate using pinyin input methods on electronic devices (e.g. computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones).
- Study schedule to be announced prior to the commencement of the study term.
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
This is an introductory subject for students with little or no prior knowledge of Chinese. This introductory subject is for anyone who is interested in the
Chinese language and/or has the need to learn Chinese for business or academic purposes. This subject provides an introduction to all four basic language skills - listening, speaking, reading and writing. It provides students with opportunities to establish essential communicative skills with a focus on practical, everyday use of the Chinese language and incorporating some socio-cultural knowledge. Selected topics and situations, such as exchanging personal information, asking about directions and telling your hobbies etc., all come from real life scenarios. This introductory level subject also provides students with the necessary skills to proceed to HMC102 Chinese 1B. There is no prerequisite required for this introductory subject.
- Online Quiz 1 (20%)
- Online Quiz 2 (30%)
- Online Quiz 3 (30%)
- Speaking Task (20%)
Current study term: 20 Feb 22 to 29 May 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.