Herd and Pasture Management
Your upfront cost: $0
- 12 Jul 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this Unit the learner will be able to:
- Describe and evaluate the relationship between profitability and herd and pasture management
- Interpret and communicate techniques for measuring pasture quantity and quality and developing feed budgets .
- Analyse and explain the impact of herd and pasture management practices on herd productivity
- Reflect on and apply animal health and welfare concepts for sustainable ruminant production systems
- Evaluate and communicate practice-based decisions for herd and pasture management
- Animal health
- Animal welfare
- Animal fertility
- Animal genetics
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This unit focuses on the critical components of animal management on profitability and sustainability of ruminant production systems. You will investigate the main factors affecting ruminant health and the strategies available to prevent and manage such conditions. You will explore how animal ethics and welfare need to be incorporated into farm planning. The unit will provide examples of how farmers improve ruminant reproductive performance, irrespective of their farming system and how they make informed decisions around breeding.
- Blog - animal health and welfare (15%)
- Online dating profile - Ruminant (30%)
- Online critique (15%)
- Poster presentation (40%)
Current study term: 11 Jul 21 to 17 Oct 21)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.